TOYOTA TUFF

fred heath

Just completed a 923 mile trip from NC to NH. Drove straight through stopping only for gas. Took 17 hours. The truck ran perfect. Not bad for a 40 year old original engine 🙂. Averaged 18 mpg (no bull). 

Remember, my toy is only 16’ long and weighs 4200 lbs. I did add the Weber 32/36 last year. Really helped on the hills.

On 7/28/2019 at 5:28 AM, fred heath said:

Just completed a 923 mile trip from NC to NH. Drove straight through stopping only for gas. Took 17 hours. The truck ran perfect. Not bad for a 40 year old original engine 🙂. Averaged 18 mpg (no bull). 

Remember, my toy is only 16’ long and weighs 4200 lbs. I did add the Weber 32/36 last year. Really helped on the hills.

I have a '90 Dolphin V6, 21' (I think), and I get 14-15 MPG on a windy, hilly day and close to 18 MPG on a good day but I also have a 1978 16' Keystone that I'm working on and so I am interested in your experience with your '79 Champion.  So, here are a couple of questions, if you don't mind:

1) I want to keep mine as original as possible, but I am seriously considering adding a Weber.  How much was it and did you install it yourself? Is yours a manual, and if so, is it a 4-speed or 5-speed?  What is the slowest speed you did, and what gear, on the steepest hill? (asking because I'm out west and the Rocky Mountains and the high winds of Utah and Wyoming will be the test of fire for mine)

2) Do you have a 1978 Chassis (four headlights) or a 1979 Chassis (two headlights)?  Do you have the 20R engine?

Thanks for any feedback.