New engine

WME

Get your tool box ready and plan to  head for your local "pull a Part" soon. In Sept GM is releasing a new 3L six cylinder diesel. 277HP and 460 LB Ft torque. Rated at 33 mpg hwy in a Silverado 1500 PU

This is a perpetual "rub the brass lamp" post here, installing a diesel engine into  a Toyota motor home. MBZ 300D's (OM617), Toyota 2L and 3L diesels,  Cummings 4BT, VW 1.9L TDI.

There seem to be about 4 that were actually done.

The GM 3.0L Vortec diesel and the FCM VM Mortori 3.0L are two of the modern diesel engines to consider if you win the lotto and must have  a diesel Toyhouse.

I'm pretty sure a GM 3.0 diesel won't come close to fitting in an old Toyota truck. The 2.8 diesel they put in the Colorado probably will but my son works at a Chevy dealer and every new truck that comes back to the dealer for work is that diesel. Maybe after they work some of the bugs out. To be specific. These are inline engines so the difference in size is the 3.0 is 2 cylinders longer. full size engine compartment required

Linda S

I had the earlier version of that MotorI diesel in a Jeep Liberty. Awesome torque, it is a huge 4 cylinder diesel after all but had tons of issues. I spent more time and money on that beast than any other car I owned. I did like driving it though. I think the hassle of putting in a modern diesel out weighs the benefits. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2019 at 11:24 AM, linda s said:

I'm pretty sure a GM 3.0 diesel won't come close to fitting in an old Toyota truck. The 2.8 diesel they put in the Colorado probably will but my son works at a Chevy dealer and every new truck that comes back to the dealer for work is that diesel. Maybe after they work some of the bugs out. To be specific. These are inline engines so the difference in size is the 3.0 is 2 cylinders longer. full size engine compartment required

Linda S

The emissions stuff kills them. The regen cycle cokes everything up. In an emission free area they can be made reliable. At least from what I have heard from owners and other people who are familiar with them. Your son probably knows all about that.

If that was the case they would all be bad. No problems with the 3.0, it's just the 2.8 that has the problems. I would bet it has something to do with having 4 cylinders instead of 6 and still having almost the same displacement. Never asked for details from him though. He just mentioned it when I was looking at possibly buying a Colorado. I'm too cheap , not going to happen

Linda S