Water Leak

Ports here trying to get some help.  Do to other obligations, I just took my 1994 Winnebago Micro Warrior for the first trip of the summer.  When I hooked up my city water, I noticed that after a short period of time, I saw water coming out from under the motorhome.  In a panic, I shut the water supply off and crawled under the home to see where the leak was coming from.  What I noticed was water on the top of my gray tank dripping(running) down over the side of the tank.  I went inside and tried to trace all the water lines I could visibly see to check for water or leaks and could not find any.  Since I was on vacation and it was 95-98 degrees, I just disconnected the city line and kept filling up a bucket to use with toilet and rinsing dishes.  When I got home, I hooked up again and this time saw water coming from fresh water drain which I must have left open and then also again from same spot above gray water tank.  I read something about a blocked/stuck check valve on water pump but can't understand how water pump problem toward the front of camper will cause water to come out at the rear.  I had my camper winterized by an RV person.  I did not have any problem last year but the  problem surfaced after the camper was de- winterized by me .  I contacted the RV guy and am waiting to hear back.  I would like to do as much of the work as possibly but also realize my limitations.  The water pump on my micro warrior is under the sofa/fold down bed and almost impossible to get at. To get at it if necessary, would I have to remove the sofa and if so how do I do that.  Also I should have mentioned that I have not used the fresh water system since I bought the motorhome and don't know how often the couple who I purchased it from used that system.  Is there anything that I might have turned on that should be off.  I have two stopcocks in front of lines coming out of fresh water tank that I believe are conected to two drain lines that come out the bottom of motorhome under fresh water tank.  I have two more stopcocks located around the water heater tank that I believe allow the water to go to the shower,toilet, back sink, and outdoor shower.  When I hooked up to city water, those two stopcocks were open and the two by the fresh water tank were closed.  When I got the original owners book out to look, they had two drain plugs attached to the water pump.  I believe that this was modified and hence the two stopcocks in front of the fresh water tank.  The book also said something about two more drain plugs located in a cabinet under the oven and by the water heater tank,  the only thing I can see is the two stopcocks that I believe allow water to appliances in back.  The type of drain plugs they describe in manual are the type that you pull up to open and push down to close.  Am I missing something in the back that I have left open where water could drain from?  The water heater tank has a piece of card  board around the tank holding the insulation.  Could there be some type of drain valve back there  that I am letting open that water can run out.  The tank is located pretty close to the area above the gray tank. I hope I did not confuse all of you with my explanation.  I'm puzzled(but happy) that water is coming out the underside but no visible sign of water inside the camper.  I hope that someone might have some suggestions for me that would allow me to fix it myself rather than paying a fortune to have it repaired.  I will do what I must so I can get out on the road again and show off my little classic.  Thank you for all your help on this forum.  It is greatly appreciated. Al

• 2 weeks later...

I have been hoping somebody would reply to this that had a solid idea of what your problem could be, but nobody has yet.  I think your explanation just looses most after the halfway point or something lol.

So first off, are you using a water pressure regulator?  At this point it may be too late, but might be a good plan to use this from now on.

Our little RV's seem to rely heavily on pex lines and fittings and the older compression versions of these.  Very basic parts.  While these are great during use, the on/off cycles can put a toll on them sealing.  At Home Depot you can get a cool product made by Ryobi called a borescope.  They have a self contained version with a monitor, and a version that connects to your phone.  I have had both and prefer the self contained version.  It seems to have a clearer image.  The other "PhoneWorks" version does have its advantages though.  It is easier to keep the camera rotated to an angle where you don't loose your orientation.  There are other choices out there too, but I found the contained version especially to be better quality than many of the high end professional ones.  

Anyways, borescope.  I would use one to take a peak above where the drip underneath is occurring and try to find the source of the leak.  It sounds like you have a fitting that has come loose and constant pressure on it is just enough to cause your issues.  

Is there some reason you can't just fill the fresh water tank and only turn on the pump when you need water. Sure would beat dragging buckets around

Linda S

I never ever hook up to city water. Unkown leak can flood your camper in a heartbeat. 

fittings I just had that slight drip under dolphin . the conections on the fawect on the bathroom sinck had worked lose .I was not connected to city water but noticed the pump coming on now and then .

T, Linda, and 5 Toyota.  Thanks for your responses.  I was away visiting my daughter in NH and just got back.  I posted in the general discussion and received something from Derek.  It appears I may have left two drain valves open near my water heater tank.  If that was the case the water I was putting in the motorhome was coming out there.  I didn't have time to check to see if closing the valves will correct my problem.  T, I do use a pressure regulator.  Linda, I did try to use fresh water and pump but with valves open water just came out.  When I catch up on grass and stuff after visiting my daughter I will close valves and see what happens.  I certainly appreciate all of you taking time to help me.  I will let all of you know how things work out.  Oh Linda, I have replaced my lights wit LED's and installed the airlifter 5000 bags.  You were absolutely right in saying they don't come anywhere near the gas tank.  I'm learning more thanks to all of you.  Ports

Just wanted to update everyone.  I shut the two valves near the water heater tank, partially filled the fresh water tank and then tried to pressurize the system.  I still had the same leak above the gray tank.  No water inside the motorhome.  The amount of water coming out gives me the impression that a valve is open.  It appears that the two visible valves by the water tank are to allow water back to the toilet and the bathroom sink.  I get water to all the faucets but can't find where the water is coming from above the gray tank.  Are there drain valves back there that I could be missing perhaps blocked by the water tank.  Is there anywhere I should be looking for the drain valve?  with the amount of water coming from above the gray tank, if it was a loose fitting or crack in the line I certainly would see water inside and I don't.  I'm really getting frustrated and could use some more advise.  I know that being a 1994 it is old and things will happen.  It was taken such good care of and I would like to do the same.  Please hepl. Ports

Derek and Linda!  Thanks for the reply.  Derek, I will look at the diagram you sent.  Linda, the leak only occurs when I am trying to pressurize the water system.  If running fresh water or city hook up, I can get water to all faucets but there is water running down onto the top of the gray tank.  I almost sure it is not the gray tank but some valve I can't locate open.  Do you know where the valve would be located back around the water heater tank.  I can have all faucets off and the water will still come out on top of grey tank and then run down.  I don't believe there is any water in the gray tank.

nk.  Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to inform all that helped that my problem is now solved.  I found out there are three low point drains.  Two in the back in front of the water heater tank and one up front in front of the water pump.  I had both stopcocks in the back facing the same direction.  One should have been in the opposite direction.  No leak.  I feel pretty stupid.  In going through all of this, I found out my fresh water level does not show up on my monitor.  All other functions work.  Not that important because I seldom use the fresh water and I can always check by looking.  I only have 1 set of keys for my motorhome and was unable to get any that opened the camper itself made.  I will contact Winnebago and see what they say.  Anyone have any ideas.  Thanks Ports.