Hi!  I just bought an amazing 1986 granville with a 22RE.  It has 41,000 miles and has been switched over to mobil 1 10w30 oil by the previous owner.  

He warned me that i may want to switch it back to conventional oil due to some things he read about it possibly being a better choice.

I did a couple google searches and see that the detergents in synthetic oil may cause seals to leak but cannot confirm.  Has anyone had an issue with using synthetic oil?  Thanks in advance!

12 minutes ago, bkerr101@hotmail.com said:

Hi!  I just bought an amazing 1986 granville with a 22RE.  It has 41,000 miles and has been switched over to mobil 1 10w30 oil by the previous owner.  

He warned me that i may want to switch it back to conventional oil due to some things he read about it possibly being a better choice.

I did a couple google searches and see that the detergents in synthetic oil may cause seals to leak but cannot confirm.  Has anyone had an issue with using synthetic oil?  Thanks in advance!

I’ve been using synthetic (mobile 1) in my rig for over 6 years. I love it. Much better then “Dino” oil (IMHO). I also use 75-90 in the transmission and 75-140 in the rear differential. I’ve done 960 mile trips pretty much nonstop (except for gas and power nap). Naysayers will disagree, but it works for me.

12 hours ago, bkerr101@hotmail.com said:

Welcome to the forum Ben! Ben bought My Granville “Grannie” on Monday! He’s a Cool Dude 😎 

Years ago that was a problem the new formulas have corrected that. Personally I don't use synthetic oil most of the users don't need it and it's a good bit more expensive. Every Toyota pickup I have owned had damn close to 300K when I sold them.

• 3 weeks later...

Congrats on Your new Toyhome.

Oil is important. Just change it once in awhile.

Keep it topped off and check it on a regular basis for something "irregular'..

Then drive your Toyhome into the ground. Adjust the valves (I leave them so they clatter a bit at idle ) .  My 1988 Rig just got 13 mpg over the last 1500 miles driven. The average weight was  6500 pounds.

300 mile trip got 15 mpg over  the last two trips running route one downeast Maine..

Just change the oil/basic maintenance and drop the pedal to the floor.

If something unusual happens then this is the place to figure it out .

Welcome..

Drive the wheels off that new Toyhome and be safe...

34 minutes ago, REALLYRURAL said:

Congrats on Your new Toyhome.

Oil is important. Just change it once in awhile.

Keep it topped off and check it on a regular basis for something "irregular'..

Then drive your Toyhome into the ground. Adjust the valves (I leave them so they clatter a bit at idle ) .  My 1988 Rig just got 13 mpg over the last 1500 miles driven. The average weight was  6500 pounds.

300 mile trip got 15 mpg over  the last two trips running route one downeast Maine..

Just change the oil/basic maintenance and drop the pedal to the floor.

If something unusual happens then this is the place to figure it out .

Welcome..

Drive the wheels off that new Toyhome and be safe...

Thanks!  

Ok my take on oil when the 22RE was made there was no syn. oil they lasted hundreds of thousand miles. Enter the more expensive syn oil they lasted hundreds of thousand miles. Now these are old vehicles do you really want to leave any oil in it for 10,000 miles?  What is going on other than an oil change? Well suspension parts brakes exhaust stuff tire pressure antifreeze, leaks etc. First of all there are only 3 pure synthetic oils and guess what Amsoil is not one of them neither is Mobile One, they are blends however jet engines do use PAG synthetic oil (do not put it in your toy home). If you intend to race your toy home hot cams modified suspension etc yes then you may want syn oil. I'm dying to see one in a gymkhana going through the gates at speed. Of my last Toyota pickups except the new one all had some thing close to 300K on them 5K oil changes with vanilla  motor oil. Oil changes do not end at draining the oil it's about all the rest to the poor old motorhome. Bottom line oil does not wear out but it does get contaminated this is why we change it. 

On 8/2/2019 at 5:58 PM, Maineah said:

... I'm dying to see one in a gymkhana going through the gates at speed. ...

And it would have to be kitted out proper bosozoku style!  Cause it is JDM lol!  I have threatened to do a few bosozoku mods to mine...   

Yeah every car is different.  I have a high performance classic VW.  After a rebuild and reseal, I decided to switch over to Mobil 1 once I was done with the break in period.  I didn't make it 10k before I had to yank the transmission to replace the main crank seal, and shortly after I had to replace the front crank, intermediate shaft, and camshaft seals.  I also found that the synthetic oil (well specifically Mobil 1) seemed to need to be checked slightly more often.  I was not getting 3k out of them, let alone 6k.  Switched back to conventional, no more problems.  

Another thing oil change and service shops like to do is upsell to high mileage oil.  Yes it does help, but once you start using it, you have to stay with it.  It basically swells the seals up a touch.  But if you stop using it, seals tend to deteriorate even more quickly.

So the takeaway I get from this is to simply stick with what your engine has known the longest and likes.  You probably won't get massivly extended intervals out of the Mobil 1, and it could be a dangerous false sense of security.  I would rather change conventional oil a little sooner and not run a motor dry.  

It's all blended some actually admit it. Europe and Asia don't allow it it either is or it isn't.