Hello! 

New to the forum and new to owning a Toyota RV... about five days new to be exact. I recently got a remote job that allows me to travel anywhere I can get internet (or even just a phone signal), so naturally my wife and I have been plotting to rent the house and hit the road. This past weekend we took a big step and pulled the trigger on a 1992 Toyota Coaster. It's a right hand drive, Japanese import with a 1H-DT, straight six diesel engine. I'm no mechanic and I'm a little concerned about finding parts down the road... but the bus is in amazing shape, with zero trace of rust (or wear anywhere really) with impressively low miles. I drove it home across Washington State and was super impressed. Anyways, I'd love to gain some knowledgable perspectives, tips for maintenance, things to watch out for... etc. etc.

Cheers,

Matt (and Missy)

IMG_0793.JPG

IMG_2355.JPG

IMG_2380.JPG

IMG_2651 3.JPG

IMG_2954.JPG

IMG_5861.JPG

IMG_6830.JPG

IMG_7038.JPG

IMG_7721.JPG

IMG_8158.JPG

IMG_6072.JPG

Beautiful, and first one I have ever seen.

What length? How much did you pay? How did you ever find it?

Very neat. I too am curious about locating parts for these JDM vehicles. Was this engine ever brought to the US?

The engine can also be found in some late 80’s / early 90’s land cruisers (or so I’ve been told). We bought this from a JDM (Japanese Domestic Motors) dealer in Seattle. We paid $19k. He bought it at auction in Japan. It must have sat in doors for years because there isn’t a trace of rust and the interior looks almost brand new. I actually quite liked the guy. He said he can help us order parts when the time comes. He has a pretty fantastic collection of vehicles and his site is worth checking out...

https://www.jdmcarandmotorcycle.com/

Very neat! I’d just be worried to be in the middle of nowhere while traveling and have a part fail that’s gonna take three weeks to locate and replace!

100%

I toured the country for about six years with my former band. We had a '66 Detroit Diesel (same bus that's in Almost Famous). Every time we broke down it was a huge ordeal to get a tow and find a mechanic/parts. I'm guessing this'll be no different and/or worse. It'll be nice to be working remotely and not rushing to shows if we have to hurry up and wait. My hope is that everything is in as good of shape as it appears... and if I religiously lube/oil/filter I can prevent a good amount of headaches. Time will tell though!

Guest wemit
15 minutes ago, CoasterWithTheMost-er said:

100%

I toured the country for about six years with my former band. We had a '66 Detroit Diesel (same bus that's in Almost Famous). Every time we broke down it was a huge ordeal to get a tow and find a mechanic/parts. I'm guessing this'll be no different and/or worse. It'll be nice to be working remotely and not rushing to shows if we have to hurry up and wait. My hope is that everything is in as good of shape as it appears... and if I religiously lube/oil/filter I can prevent a good amount of headaches. Time will tell though!

You're probably right about keeping up with the maintenance to keep the rig on the road, besides if everything always ran perfectly, you wouldn't have all those "breakdown" stories to tell...

6 hours ago, Odyssey 4x4 said:

Very neat. I too am curious about locating parts for these JDM vehicles. Was this engine ever brought to the US?

Amayama is the go to for non US parts and everything else. Has to be worth it to pay shipping. One of their suppliers though is in UAE , middle east, and is quite reasonable on shipping. 

https://www.amayama.com/en/genuine-catalogs/toyota

Linda S