1988 Toyota Winnebago questions ?

Cyclone15

Hello all, new member who is recently retired and looking for a Toyota motor home. There is an 88 Toyota Winnebago for sale fairly close to me, 140k on the clock. 22RE auto. Older couple who took it to Florida every winter, been parked inside when not in use. Seems to be pretty tight with no apparent water damage. It runs great with all new tires. Before they replaced the tires they had a blowout on one of the rears and ever since then none of the electrical stuff works in the camper. Wondering if there are some wires back there that might have got damaged or maybe a breaker somewhere ? Can't think it would be anything serious with everything working and then all of a sudden not working ? Any idea's anyone ? I can pick it up fairly cheap and was hoping to get some opinions on here as there seems to be a wealth of knowledge here. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Cyclone15

When you say none of the electric works, do you mean both 12V DC and household 110V AC?  

Things to try-- find the electric panel/converter.  It is usually down by your ankles.  Open just the top of the front and try resetting the circuit breakers.  You can do this safely even when the rig is plugged into shore power.  Then if it is not plugged in to shore power, do that.  This may solve problems with 110V AC.  There will also be a row of small 12V fuses like cars and trucks have.  Put a multimeter across a fuse or fuse holder to check for voltage.  12.5V is good.  No voltage could mean there is no battery in the house, or that it is dead, or that it is not connected properly to the electric panel.  Voltage between 0 and 12.5means you need to charge the house battery.

Thanks Bob, I will be back around it on Saturday morning and give this a try. The owner did state that he replaced the house battery, but I have no idea with what kind. All the lights with the cab part work, headlights, clearance lights, dash lights etc, The A/C, lights, and outlets in the camper area do not work.

Looked at this tonight, hooked it up to shore power and looked at fuses and breakers and they all looked good. Some lights worked, but the rooftop a/c wouldn't work along with some of the outlets. I am a total rookie to RV's, worked on many cars but this is all new. Where would the water heater be located, I could not find it and it looks like with the plumbing the hot side pipes have been disconnected ?

for out lets some are on a gfi make shure they are not tripped . you might try switiching the breakers off and back to on  make shure not tripped .

To find water heater walk around the outside. Look for a metal door about 15 inches high and 18 inches long.  It will have some ventilation grillwork in it.  The bottom of this door is usually about even with the inside floor.  Open the door and there it is--unless it has been removed.

110v outlets--5Toyota is right.  There should be at least one, maybe more gfi.  Mine is in the walkway and just below the kitchen sink.  Every year at least once we hit the test button by accident and have to reset it.