Cruise Control comes and goes

revillo

Have a 1991 Dolphen with a cruise control problem that's a bit odd. If I disconnect the battery go for a drive and turn on the cruise then activate the cruise works great 

however the 1 st time I hit the brakes the cruise disconnects and no matter what I do it won't come back. I have to stop. turn off,  Disconnect the battery 

then it will work again.. Anybody have ideas or where I could find an electrical manual for the truck portion of the RV 

Cheers  

M  

Edited by revillo

A picture of the cruise control device or model/brand info would be helpful in the diagnosis.

Do you have the original filament light bulbs installed or have you installed any LED's in the light system?

The most simple thing to do would be to clean the contacts of the brake light bulbs.  The cruise controls typically look for a low resistance on the brake circuit and bad contacts can mess that up. 

CC looks for a 12 volt + signal to the brake light circuit to disconnect next time it does this stop don't turn it off and go look and make sure the brake lights are not on. Aftermarket cruise controls are pretty flakey in general.

Out CC did this when we first got our Toy - I took the cover off the underhood module and cleared it out very well. Any plug that I could access I disconnected, cleaned, and reassembled. I still get intermittent come/go with but it's rare - cleaning the system made a big difference for us. Of course finding level highway to actually use the CC on, well that is a challenge!

My 87 Nova Star had one at best it was worthless the power with a 4 cylinder just is not there too much shifting going on it really got confused when it down shifted.