New 91 Warrior and Need advice!!!

Surfer

Just purchased my first Yota Home and looking for recommendations! 1991 Toy Winnebago Warrior - V6 Dinnet/couch layout. Doing some renos and then taking 3 kids and wife from FL to Maine!

Questions - 

1. Portable generators to run ac, fridge, maybe TV or laptop WHILE driving... I am thinking of a 3000 propane/gas power? What are others running?? (I would love solar but don't think it work my application)

2. A reasonably priced awning, with full hardware? 

3. Cab windshield and window covers

My family is super excited about our new adventure and I am happy to have access to all your knowledge!!

Thank you!!

Welcome to the world of Toy Houses. 3 kids and a wife are going to be a bit crowed. Fresh water and waste water are going to your limits so a little water conservation training will be needed.

Your questions.

1. The 12v side of the house will run everything you want, with adapters, but the AC and Refer. The refer will run off propane while traveling and boondocking. In an RV park it will run off the 110v ac shore power. The AC will require a generator. The factory install was an Onan 2800 Micro Lite.  So a 3000 w generator would work great, get an inverter style genset.. Where do you plan on mounting it? Portable generators don't work well when stuffed in the factory gen box. You may need a booster to start the AC. Good, Better, Best would be a Hot Shot starter cap, then a RV AC starter kit from Appliance and Air, best is the Easy Start from Micro Air.

2. Awnings are pretty much standard prices. $800+. DIY install or do you want a shop to do it, shop labor is $80 an hour and up.

3. Most of us just go to a big box home store and buy a roll of Reflectix. It looks like chromed bubble wrap. Use Velcro and cut your own window shades. In very hot or very cold situations we will hang a blanket from the bunk to block off the cab area, it helps to reduce energy needs, heat or cool.

Have fun and remember to travel the blue line roads

Thank you for that great input!!

The kiddos are all under 5, so it will get more crowded as time goes on, but now its perfect!! 😁

This rig came with a Kohler 2800, but its no longer here... I want to mount in the original box and trying to get creative! Thought some people may have some good ideas.

Since you seem pretty knowledgeable, any input on the R12 to R134? My ac is a bit low and I can find some R12, but should I just convert it and how much is that going to cost me?

Thanks again!!

The problems with an industrial generator in a factory box are multiple.

Exhaust, the box must be fume tight, the actual exhaust must be plumbed to the outside.

How to fuel

Cooling air inlet, hot air outlet.

You can't just stuff a industrial in the factory box and run it. Most folks just store the generator in the box, then remove it and chain it to the bumper. If you really want to run going down the road, bumper mount is about all you can do. Then you have the fuel problems (fill ups and fuel sloshing on the bumps) starting and power cord hookup so it does fall out.

PLAN B. Haunt E-Bay and Craig's list for a used Onan 2800 that's close enough so you can drive to pick it up. Shipping on something this size is mega$$. 

IMHO you DO NOT WANT A KOHLER 2800, they're loud, shake and parts are almost nonexistent.

Edited by WME

Guest wemit

Although portable generators were not designed to work in enclosed spaces, they can be modified so that they do just fine in enclosed spaces. You do need to know what you are doing and what the requirements are for a generator in a box next to the box you are living in. Its been done before with very good results.

I was considering the propane and gas combo generator... run propane while driving, but I obviously need that the be plumbed.

I have found some used Onans around, just don't know if they are any good before I go driving to get them 🙄 

OK If you insist!!!🙄 https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/20038531.cfm

There are propane conversions for the small inverter generators

If you screw up a little the generator dies, if you screw up big time you die...

THINK CAREFULLY

Had an Onan 2800 in my previous Toy, have a Kohler 2800 in my current Toy.  I would take Onan over Kohler every time.