30 amp power splitter

Iflyfish

I will visit a relative with a 30 amp plug in for their trailer, which they occupy. Is there a way that I can piggyback on their 30 amp plug? Some sort of plug in double outlet? I have been exploring but can't find what I have pictured i.e. a 30 amp Y connector. Don't know if it exists?

Iflyfishclueless

It’s probably worth noting that 30A is basically the minimum amperage hookup for any single camper/motor home. If both of you are using AC, this would definitely be a no-go. Even if you’re just using lights and basic appliances X 2... you might be tripping the breaker.

If you both run AC units plus other items then you are going to be pushing it.  If you carefully manage your power then it is possible to do that split (i.e don't run the microwave unless you turn off the AC).  In theory you may have enough amps to run two AC units and a few small items and the lights, but in practice what I've found is that the ability to do what you are asking has a lot to do with the quality of the connections and wire.  If you have one bad or inefficient connection then you could trip breakers or cause connectors to overheat.  Easy thing to do is simply plug it all up and run AC's, then check for any warm connectors or wire.  If the main 30A receptical you plug into is old then you may find the head of the splitter WME suggested will get warm/hot.  If that's your limiting connection then you may be out of luck.  If all is cool and runs dual AC and doesn't blow breakers then you are ok as long as you monitor how much each unit is drawing.  Check temps of connectors, that will tell the tale.

As an example, when parked at home I run my rig off of one 15A GCFI outlet.  It works fine, no problem running the AC (camper in my driveway is my spare/guest bedroom).  However, over time the outlet got "worn", either corroded or whatnot.  The result is that there was a poor connection in the GCFI outlet (it was 20 years old...) and a lot of heat buildup.  It got so bad that the 15A to 30A dogbone adapter basically melted with a load that was fine for years.  I put on a new outlet and new 15A connector on the dogbone but the wire after the cable was still getting hot.  I opened up the wire where it was hot and found that the wire itself was basically burned and blackened all the way through the 1 foot dogbone, through the 30A connectors and two feet into the 30A extension cable.  New dogbone and new 30A connector after chopping the bad wire and all is good through the new GCFI outlet.  No heat, no problems.   Bad connectors and overheated wire will limit your ability to draw current.  Nice fresh connectors and wire and you get full current draw with no heating of connectors/wire.  If you have heat buildup you can feel with your hand, you have a current bottleneck and should address it.  Otherwise, I'd say give it a try doing the split as long as you keep your eye on cable/connector temps and overall loads on each unit.

Adapters generally are pretty cheap. A 30 amp circuit requires a #10 wire both from the house and the supply cord most of the cheap adaptors I have seen are a #12 wire they get by with the short length cable loss. A 30 amp RV circuit is at 120 volts even the really big stuff (50 amp) is nothing more than two 25 amp 120 volt circuits with the breakers split into to two circuits. So two campers on the same circuit running an AC is right on the max even with a quality set up. The biggest problem I have seen is flat out poor connections that's what heats things up the copper blade or the wire fastened to the blade makes poor contact and things get hot fast with a heavy load. All though the 30 to 20 amp adapters are not much either you would be better off connecting to a 20 circuit instead of both on a 30.

3 minutes ago, Maineah said:

you would be better off connecting to a 20 circuit instead of both on a 30

This is a good point.  If you only have one 30A connector available and that is it then you have to go with a splitter.  However, many campsites have multiple connectors available, for example one 30A and one standard outdoor household 15/20 amp outlet.  If you can put one camper on the 30A connector  and the second camper on a different connector at the power post then you will likely be better off.  The 30A to regular household 20A connector is a good approach in this situation.

Most camp ground power posts are 100 amp so there is enough to go around. 

Thank you very much for all the great input. Very helpful! Iflyfishconmitoyamigos

• 3 weeks later...

I run my dolphin ac at home on a dedicated 20 amp no 12 wire  when I am getting it ready too go I use a step down 30 to 20 adapter .