Refrigerator

We are having problems with our refrigerator.  It won't come on at all. Can they be repaired or does it have to be replaced?  What will replace it?  1993 SeaBreeze  ... Dometic refrigerator

If you have never owned one, these guys they are very slow coolers they take a long to to cool and make no noise when they operate. After about 4 hours or so you should be able to feel cold in the freezer. If I'm going camping I usually start mine the day before.

Also Remember your fridge also needs to be within 3 degrees of level or will not cool efficiently and can cause permanent damage to the refrigerator!

My recently purchased 1985 Dolphin 200 has a dead fridge. Has anyone bought a rebuilt Dometic refrigerator cooling unit from RVCool.com? They advertise $425.00 plus shipping. 

On 7/6/2019 at 7:24 PM, AzRetired said:

It won't come on at all.

Unfortunately the standard RV fridge is quite different than a household fridge and there is q bit of a learning curve in terms of how to use one of these effectively.  Even getting one to turn on can be confusing.  Maybe try looking over this thread and then getting back to us after you have done some more tests to see if heat is being generated in the back boiler and if cold is eventually being felt on the inside:

5 minutes ago, Uncle Monty said:

Has anyone bought a rebuilt Dometic refrigerator cooling unit from RVCool.com? They advertise $425.00 plus shipping. 

I replaced a cooling unit in my Dometic about a year ago.  Very pleased with the result.  I bought from https://www.rvcoolingunit.com/ and it was in that same price range after the return of the core.  This is the "Amish Built" refurb units and David Force (rvrepair1029@comcast.net) is the sales person.  This is a current ebay auction for it:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dometic-Cooling-unit-RM2400-RM2401-RM2410-415-after-100-rebate-Amish-Built/372446959428

Installing it wasn't easy, but it's do-able if you have the gumption.  I really put my fridge though the paces this last weekend and this refurb unit is solid and works well.

12 minutes ago, AtlantaCamper said:

I replaced a cooling unit in my Dometic about a year ago.  Very pleased with the result.  I bought from https://www.rvcoolingunit.com/ and it was in that same price range after the return of the core.  This is the "Amish Built" refurb units and David Force (rvrepair1029@comcast.net) is the sales person.  This is a current ebay auction for it:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dometic-Cooling-unit-RM2400-RM2401-RM2410-415-after-100-rebate-Amish-Built/372446959428

Installing it wasn't easy, but it's do-able if you have the gumption.  I really put my fridge though the paces this last weekend and this refurb unit is solid and works well.

Thank you very much for the referral, Atlanta Camper. They sound like a good company and your positive experience speaks well of their product.

2 hours ago, AtlantaCamper said:

Unfortunately the standard RV fridge is quite different than a household fridge and there is q bit of a learning curve in terms of how to use one of these effectively.  Even getting one to turn on can be confusing.  Maybe try looking over this thread and then getting back to us after you have done some more tests to see if heat is being generated in the back boiler and if cold is eventually being felt on the inside:

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2019 at 8:39 PM, linda s said:

It won't come on with propane or electric. Yes there are replacements available but some more info and we might be able to tell if it's fixable

Linda S

We took it to a repair ... it's dead.  They said all the ammonia leaked out.