AMP HR BATT REQUIREMENT

Charlesgm

My 1990 Odyssey came with one Power Sonic 28 amp hr batt. The compartment is small, but could take another batt I think.  How many amp hr battery is usually installed?

1 hour ago, Charlesgm said:

My 1990 Odyssey came with one Power Sonic 28 amp hr batt. The compartment is small, but could take another batt I think.  How many amp hr battery is usually installed?

Completely dependent on your personal power needs. 

Your Odyssey probably came with a group 24 or 26 battery. About 80 to 100 amp hours. If you add another battery to the one you have they are supposed to be similar in size and amp hours to charge properly. 

Linda S

Parallel batteries are the total of both so two 80 amps give you a 160 amp hours yes they should be rated the same. Needs and wants are part of the scenario.

• 4 months later...

I also have a 1989/1990 Odyssey and the battery compartment is only 10.75" deep, so I'm having a hard time finding a small enough 100 Ah battery (one on Amazon but the review implies that it might only be 85 Ah).

I currently have two 35 Ah batteries that fit in the compartment, but they are getting old.  I may settle for an 80 Ah battery, since it's kinda hard to wire the 2 batteries in that small space - depends on how much slack they gave you.

I have not answered until now as I was working on a solution, however it did not work out.  I have not been able to find a suitable battery.

Instead, I have decided to put in 1 100AH AGM battery by Weize (Amazon $165). It is also to large for the small compartment, so I intend to put it in the next compartment under the sofa in a battery box.  Since it is AGM it does not gas, unless overcharged.  My rig has an platform in the rear (which extends the length of the couch by about 2') I have placed the generator there as well as re ran the 30 amp power cord under the floor to the platform.  This gives me the space for the battery.  Frankly the under sofa area is not very well organized so I am in the process of rerouting the propane line, as well as the water line.  This will give me more than enough space.

So far the only draw back I can see, is that the builtin charger (5amps) will not work with the AGM Battery. That problem I am still working on.

CHARLES

You will need to replace the converter/charger no matter what kind of battery you use they won't cut the mustard. For the cost of the AGM plus shipping you can buy two group 24 deep cycle sealed batteries locally with about 160 amps combined without having to buy a special charger for the AGM.

Edited by Maineah

I contacted the orginal converter/charger folks who recommended a PD4045K replacement. It automatically handles both wet and dry batteries.

I have been unable to locate group 24 batteries however, could you help me on that?

Thanks

10 minutes ago, Charlesgm said:

I contacted the orginal converter/charger folks who recommended a PD4045K replacement. It automatically handles both wet and dry batteries.

I have been unable to locate group 24 batteries however, could you help me on that?

Thanks

Any auto parts store even WalMart. Unless you have a small battery compartment you should be able to use any battery that would fit a group 24 is a very common battery group 27 is only a bit larger and has more amp hours even a group 31. "If it fits it ships"! The group number basically refers to the size of the battery figure out what would fit in your space then go online and download the battery size chart. If a battery is listed as an "F" it is the reference to the post configuration (the F means Ford) their post configuration was the opposite of the other batteries.  

I did find 1 battery that would fit the rather small compartment, but it is only 75 amp hyn only 1 battery will fit in the space.  I am sure that I am going to relocate the batteries to a different location.  since the are going to be agm or gel, it should be no problem -I hope!.

Charles

Standard RV battery sizes LxWxH

Group 24...11.13"-6.6"-9.25"   46 lbs

Group 27...12"-6.63"-9.06"     50 lbs

Group 31...12.9"-6.75"-9.27"  60lbs

CG2 (6v) ...10.38"-7.13"-11.88"  62 lbs

Charger info

http://www.bestconverter.com/

thanks for the info.  I am going with AGM batteries and found some (sigmas tek) they are 75 amp hr each x 2 = 150 amp hour. Plus we'll be adding solar panels (harbor Freight 100 watt) with a go power inverter. 

Check out Amazon and Ebay for solar panel KITS. A much better deal than HF.

11 hours ago, WME said:

Check out Amazon and Ebay for solar panel KITS. A much better deal than HF.

I agree with that and better quality.

Multiple battery charging RULE 1 Always charge in series!!!

Charging in parallel results in unbalanced batteries. The first battery to reach full charge Voltage will shut down the charge cycle and the other batteries will not reach full charge.

If your concerned about reaching max charge you can do several easy things. If your using a diode isolator ditch it, they have a natural .7v loss across the diode bank. Get a high quality relay isolator. Normal is alternator and truck battery on one post and the house battery on the other. If you change things around and hook the house battery and alternator together you can gain a little voltage at the house battery. The truck battery is fine without the same extra V. 

9 hours ago, WME said:

Multiple battery charging RULE 1 Always charge in series!!!

Charging in parallel results in unbalanced batteries. The first battery to reach full charge Voltage will shut down the charge cycle and the other batteries will not reach full charge.

If your concerned about reaching max charge you can do several easy things. If your using a diode isolator ditch it, they have a natural .7v loss across the diode bank. Get a high quality relay isolator. Normal is alternator and truck battery on one post and the house battery on the other. If you change things around and hook the house battery and alternator together you can gain a little voltage at the house battery. The truck battery is fine without the same extra V. 

Make sure they add up to the proper voltage first! With the two 12 volts in mine things would go south real fast! 

2 hours ago, Maineah said:

Make sure they add up to the proper voltage first! With the two 12 volts in mine things would go south real fast! 

Well ya of course, if you are running 12v batteries in parallel , once a month disconnect them and charge them separately. Again this is for those who need every erg of energy out of their batteries. Once a year is enough for most of us. Seperate charging will also let you verify that you have good batteries.

Batteries will even out but a weak one will affect the better one they will meet at the average point so there is a good chance they both will be below 12.7 if one is on it's way out.