Easy, Cheap Fuel Pressure Gauge Addition

My motor once died and would only crank but made no attempt to start. Unfortunately I was on the side of a highway with semis passing just a couple feet from me at 65MPH and it was getting dark. It was extremely stressful just getting out to look under the hood. Long story short, I got towed to a nearby RV park where I was able to trouble shoot the issue down to a blown EFI fuse.

As soon as I got home I found a post on a different Toyota forum site on installing this simple pressure gauge so you will always know if you are getting fuel to the injection rail or not. It really helps in trouble shooting these kind of issues.

Here is what you need:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuel-Pressure-Liquid-Fill-Gauge-Kit-For-Honda-Civic-Integra-Blue/322480727617?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

To install, remove the bolt plug from the end of the fuel injection rail and screw the gauge in. I know it fits 3.0 and 3.4 and the original poster said it should also work for 22R and 22RE. For a period of time my gauge will continue to show pressure even after motor is turned off.

Fuel Pressure Gauge.jpg

Don't try this remotely you don't need high pressure fuel inside of your camper. Many use a Schrader valve on the fuel rail so the gauge must be able to open it or you will get zero PSI.

• 1 month later...

handy little gauge there ed

I was recently driving around in baja and suddenly lost power, coasted over to the side of the road, truck wouldnt start back up, she would crank and crank but never fire up, so my brain goes straight to fuel, i check all the connections, all looks good

pop the fuse box and sure enough the EFI fuse is blown, i swap a new one in, boom she fires right up, my wife praises my genius and down the road we go.... for about 5 minutes, lose all power again, fuse is popped once more

i had just got some exhaust work done so I crawl under the truck and take a look, I start tracing the wires from the fuel pump back to the front of the truck, sure enough find a bundle of wire sagging down onto my fancy new exhaust...

3 of the wires had melted and were shorting each other out, i cut the sheathing back a bit, cleaned up the wires and wrapped them indiviudally in electric tape, secured the wires up with a zip tie, put in a new fuse and no more issues!

When i got back home I used some heatshrink/solder connectors to fix her up right

Hey James, that is funny, because it is very similar to what caused my problem.

I had moved the O2 sensor and just had it stuck with wire in a  hole in the exhaust pipe temporarily until I finished my trip and then was going to fix it properly. It fell out and the wires had shorted on the hot exhaust. Apparently the O2 wiring is in with the fuel injection circuit and EFI fuse.