Computer fail 1991 Toyo/Winnebago Warrior

Tom Delay

I have been told that my computer has failed and can't be fixed. The real problem is that it is a rare one. The part # is 89661-35560. Toyota doesn't make it anymore , no aftermarket, used or reman. are avail. Been told that I can't substitute any other number computer. I did so much work to get this rv back in shape and now this. Any ideas ...anyone? call Tom at 516-220-0540

Can't be fixed?  Hmmm,  there are various ECM  rebuilders online,  3 years ago I sent mine to I think Chicago to be repaired and have read about others sending to various places.  Sorry do not remember names.  

Slightly different #,  I think yours has a cable driven speedometer vs my electronic drive speedometer. 

IMG_0685.JPG

5 hours ago, Tom Delay said:

Already sent to a ecm rebuilder..they said the processor is shot and unable to be repaired.

Ouch!    The dual rear wheel ECM are hard to find.

We had a discussion about this one time and the consensus was that other ECM's would work.  I have only heard of 1 person saying they had done it.

The only  thing that I can think of that might be an issue is cable drive speedometer vs electronic.   The electronic speedometer sends a signal to the ECM which might cause an issue,  I am only guessing at this.    I do not know what years were cable vs electronic?

Googled part # this came up       https://store.allcomputerresources.com/1991-toyota-truck-89661-35560-pcm-ecm-ecu-engine-computer.html

Edited by jjrbus

I've always been a bit 'surprised' to see ECUs marked as for the 'C&C'. I can only GUESS that there is a difference with those for the trucks and 4Runners, but also GUESS that the difference(s) are minor and that a 'regular' ECU would work. What I do know is that I'd give it a try before scrapping my MH!

EDIT:- If I was phoning around ECU Rebuilders, I'd try to pick their brains on this subject.

On 6/25/2019 at 3:29 AM, jjrbus said:

Ouch!    The dual rear wheel ECM are hard to find.

We had a discussion about this one time and the consensus was that other ECM's would work.  I have only heard of 1 person saying they had done it.

The only  thing that I can think of that might be an issue is cable drive speedometer vs electronic.   The electronic speedometer sends a signal to the ECM which might cause an issue,  I am only guessing at this.    I do not know what years were cable vs electronic?

Googled part # this came up       https://store.allcomputerresources.com/1991-toyota-truck-89661-35560-pcm-ecm-ecu-engine-computer.html

Thanks !

https://store.allcomputerresources.com/1991-toyota-truck-89661-35560-pcm-ecm-ecu-engine-computer.html Hope that fixes it. It's not a high failure item.

Edited by Maineah

On 6/25/2019 at 7:24 AM, linda s said:

Nice find. Right part and decent price. I'd jump on the one Jim just posted.

Linda S

I contacted the company, paid for the ecm then two days later they called to say it did not pass their testing ! Still need one !

So sorry. Well you could try calling these guys. They used to be the go to place for parts in southern Cal for lots of motorhome owners. I just don't know if they still have much in stock. Worth a try

http://calminirecycling.com/wp/

Another option is to try a regular truck ECM. This one is super cheap. I'd give it a try if it were me

https://www.bonanza.com/listings/ECM-ECU-Engine-Computer-Module-1991-Toyota-Pickup-3-0L-V6-A-T-89661-35540/725822392?goog_pla=1&gpid=340094839371&keyword=&goog_pla=1&pos=1o5&ad_type=pla&gclid=CjwKCAjwmNzoBRBOEiwAr2V27RObYlML1QFhwi6q7J98UqYeOy5dhrPBf4DZ89ZFpXwTj-CFF2OWURoC6UkQAvD_BwE

I found another one with this part number listed for the dual rear wheels at a salvage yard. That means those guys took it out of a dually and assumed it was the right number. Must have worked in that one.

And here is another refurbishing shop that claims to have the real part. Kind of pricey but if nothing else will do

https://www.autoecmstore.com/products/89661-35560

Linda S

I have one. It is left over when I upgraded my motor to a 3.4.

For sale or trade. I am located in San Antonio TX.

Ed

1 hour ago, ednelson100 said:

I have one. It is left over when I upgraded my motor to a 3.4.

For sale or trade. I am located in San Antonio TX.

Ed

Unrelated but are you happy with the results of the 3.4 swap?

2 hours ago, Odyssey 4x4 said:

Unrelated but are you happy with the results of the 3.4 swap?

Happy would be an understatement. 3.4 is far superior to the 3.0 in every way. Put 30K on the motor that already had 135K on it when I installed it and still performs beautifully.

I plan to do a complete overhaul when I hit 600K, Haha

6 minutes ago, ednelson100 said:

Happy would be an understatement. 3.4 is far superior to the 3.0 in every way. Put 30K on the motor that already had 135K on it when I installed it and still performs beautifully.

I plan to do a complete overhaul when I hit 600K, Haha

How about in power difference?

4 hours ago, ednelson100 said:

Huge improvement I pass semis and climb mountains with ease.

I’ve been considering the swap in my build but I’ve heard others say the power increase wasn’t enough to warrant the work and cost! 

I think we are hijacking Tom"s post here just search on 3.4 and you will see my complete thread of the engine swap that myself and Defrag completed a couple years ago. It contains everything you would want to know.

It's around a 50 HP jump and a bit more torque. In a toy home every little bit helps. A 4L Tacoma is a 100 hp but a lot more bucks.

My mistake, you have to search on 5VZE and it comes right up.

BTW I sent Tom the spare ECM I had for $125 and he should get it July 3. He was pretty happy because he had been broke down in a parking lot having to pay fees for some time now.

Please tell me what the ECM does, and what symptoms would pop up if it were bad.  Especially interested in MPG.

5 minutes ago, BobBeery said:

Please tell me what the ECM does, and what symptoms would pop up if it were bad.  Especially interested in MPG.

Engine control modual,  takes signals from various componants and sends signals back to the engine and transmission.   Not being a mechanic it was one of the worst diagnosing jobs I have ever done. Compounded by people saying the ECM never goes bad.  Being unable to find a problem out of desperation I sent the ECM in for testing and it was the issue. 

Symptoms can vary widely, mine would just plain not start. 

An ECM would be one of the last things to blame. It receives a great deal of data from the various sensors and makes a decision on how long to leave a injector on based on data from the sensors. Usually when a ECM fails it is the injector drivers the circuits that turn the injectors on and off. Here is a very basic ideal of how this all works the only constant is fuel pressure everything else is variable the fuel delivery is based on time, the longer an injector stays open the richer the mix  so when it is cold the injector stays open longer to let more fuel in same thing as when you have your foot to the floor. So on a steady drive the time base decreases and it leans out. The O2 sensor, temp sensor TPS and so on TX data back to the ECM it then decides on how long to leave the injectors on, this all takes place at an alarming rate and changes constantly. If you listen to the injector it is a buzzing sound that is the injector turning on and off so you get the ideal of how fast this all takes place. This is a very basic simple answer, the system is an amazing piece of technology there is a lot going on at any given time.

• 2 weeks later...

Update , turns out my breakdown was not the computer. It was the air flow sensor so if you can crank the engine but no spark and the coil, igniter and distributer, fuses and relays are try your air flow sensor. Especially if you were getting a code 25 reading !

Edited by Tom Delay
typo

So glad it all worked out. Yup the MAS sensor will do that. One time I had to unplug mine to get to something and didn't get it plugged back in all the way. Took me quite a while to figure my mistake. Please let us know what idiot company said they couldn't rebuild your computer because it was fried. Save others from them. Hard to believe the mechanic who looked at it didn't check the MAS right away. Them failing is quite common

Linda S

On 6/25/2019 at 9:38 AM, Derek up North said:

I've always been a bit 'surprised' to see ECUs marked as for the 'C&C'. I can only GUESS that there is a difference with those for the trucks and 4Runners, but also GUESS that the difference(s) are minor and that a 'regular' ECU would work. What I do know is that I'd give it a try before scrapping my MH!

EDIT:- If I was phoning around ECU Rebuilders, I'd try to pick their brains on this subject.

Now that you bring it up,  people put a 6 lug on what started life as a single rear wheel 5 lug,  with no change out of computer.  4 vs 6 but have not heard of anything bad happening? 

There were no changes to the 22re when they went to 6 lug, still same as the 5. The V6 though they kept tweaking the sensors the last few years and needed the computer to work with them. That weird transmission speed sensor I found for that member is one of those strange changes. Only used on the same year as Tom's. Hope someone try's the wrong computer sometime so they can tell us if it worked

Linda S

9 hours ago, linda s said:

There were no changes to the 22re when they went to 6 lug, still same as the 5. The V6 though they kept tweaking the sensors the last few years and needed the computer to work with them. That weird transmission speed sensor I found for that member is one of those strange changes. Only used on the same year as Tom's. Hope someone try's the wrong computer sometime so they can tell us if it worked

Linda S

Where any V6 trucks produced with any other additional modules or do they all just have the engine control module. And you mention tweaking the sensors. Is the tweaked sensor a different part number? And can these ECM's be tuned, is there a way to tweak the ECM? Maybe tweak the ECM with a different sensor?

I have no idea if they ECM's can be reprogrammed to mimic one with a different part number. The same 1 year period that uses the specific ECM Tom thought he needed also uses a transmission speed sensor with a different part number than all other years. The weird thing is the speed sensor also fits a 2wd 4 runner. Hmm just got done searching 4runner parts. Several computers listed for 4Runners also have VZN85 and 90 listed. Maybe there are other ECM's available to use. I honestly have no idea

this one, lots available on ebay for cheap

https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/toyota~computer~engine~control~89661-35520.html?Make=Toyota&Model=4Runner&Year=1991&Submodel=2+Wheel+Drive&Filter=()&Location=electronic-fuel-injection-system,,89661

Linda S

The MAF sensor has a set of fuel pump contacts in it that will not let the fuel pump run if there is no air flow. The older ECM's did not have a programmable chip.

• 9 months later...

I need an ECU  89661-35040 

I can't find this anywhere.  I tried to get mine rebuilt was told it is not repairable.

Does anyone know of one?   Are any other ECU's compatible?

Toyota Truck, 22RE, Automatic, EFI, Dual Tires in Back.

Would a 89661-35060 work?  Would a ECU for manual work?  Any insight much appreciated.

Edited by blaze

The one Ed has is for a V6 so won't fit. On the good side it looks like the part you need fits almost any Toyota truck or 4runner from 1985 to 1988 with a 22re, manual or auto trannie. Junk yard time. They are easy to pull. I would hit pick and pull type places. Good luck. 

Linda S