Hi everyone. We are looking at a 1992 Toyota Itasca and we are a little nervous since this would be our first motorhome. I've read about the chassis problems, but don't think this is a problem for this year. Is that correct? I do think the head gasket problem applies though and want to see how I find out if it was fixed if the person listing it doesn't know. I have the VIN# so would I just run a general car report or does Toyota have a specific website for this? He is asking $6000, which seems reasonable for this year and about 50,000 miles. There is some water damage in the back bathroom. He says it is minimal, but I need to feel & see it for myself obviously to make sure it isn't completely rotted out. Thanks for any and all help! We really, really like these Toyota motorhomes and want our first purchase to be a good one. 

• 3 months later...

Hello- I have a new (to me) 91 Toyota Itasca spirit. I called into Toyota and found out that the head gasket repair was done in 1998. I have done a few drives and noticed some antifreeze and oil leakage from the area around the junction of the motor and transmission. I'm taking it in for a mechanic to check but wondered if anyone here knows about how long those head gasket repairs last?

Thanks for any info, happy to be a new member here.

Matt

• 4 months later...

If they were done it has the latest version head gasket so there is no recall on them. Because MH's get little milage it most likely there isn't any kind of responsible do to time also. Why do you think there is an issue?

8 hours ago, Jennifer said:

We have a record it was completed in 1998 from the dealer. No notes on the mileage though.  

The Itasca uses some coolant and sometimes puffs white smoke from the exhaust.

Yep take it to an independent shop Toyota will not fix it definitely not after 22 years!