Air conditioner leaks inside after it rains

Hi All, 

My 1987 Dolphin is new to us, and we've had quite a bit of rain lately. I've been checking the inside for leaks and haven't found any yet. But today, I plugged it up to shore power and turned on the AC (which has worked great so far), and a large amount of water started coming out. I immediately turned it off and upon further inspection, the tray on the bottom of the AC unit inside the rv was completely full of water. I got a huge tuperware and took the bottom cover off and dumped it out. 

I ran the AC a couple times on my way home from buying the Dolphin, and didn't have any issues while it was running. My guess is that the roof seal/gasket for the AC unit  is bad and is letting in rain water that's filling up the tray, and the gasket needs to be replaced. Am I thinking correctly?? This is all a bit new to me, does anyone else have any thoughts or other possibilities to check before I try to take the AC unit off the roof? 

Also, I got on the roof and took the cover off the AC, but haven't attempted to remove it yet. It's a Coleman AC unit. Is this going to be a difficult job for a rookie like myself??

Yep, a new is in order. They run in the $25 range. The A/C unbolts from the inside, should be 4 long bolts.

If it's just a gasket you should be able to do it from the inside. If the PO had "fixed" the leak with some goop then you have to get on the roof and scrape all the junk off.

The gasket kit comes with the 14X14 gasket and a strange rectangular one. It fits under the end of the AC unit don't forget to replace that one! you will be amazed about how flat the gasket is as compared to the new one the RV repair guys say every 5 years max. You will also be pleased with how much quieter the AC is. When I did the one on my Nove Star it was flat as a pancake and the entire frame work of the AC unit was sealed with silicon sealant that of course did no good and I didn't think I would ever  get the thing off the roof. 

Edited by Maineah

13 hours ago, Maineah said:

The gasket kit comes with the 14X14 gasket and a strange rectangular one. It fits under the end of the AC unit don't forget to replace that one! you will be amazed about how flat the gasket is as compared to the new one the RV repair guys say every 5 years max. You will also be pleased with how much quieter the AC is. When I did the one on my Nove Star it was flat as a pancake and the entire frame work of the AC unit was sealed with silicon sealant that of course did no good and I didn't think I would ever  get the thing off the roof. 

21 hours ago, WME said:

Yep, a new is in order. They run in the $25 range. The A/C unbolts from the inside, should be 4 long bolts.

If it's just a gasket you should be able to do it from the inside. If the PO had "fixed" the leak with some goop then you have to get on the roof and scrape all the junk off.

Ok, is this a universal gasket kit or is it specific to the Coleman ACs or to the Dolphin??

To my knowledge they are all the same as all of the vent openings they fit in are 14X14.

• 3 months later...

One of the best things about my new/old Toyota RV is this user forum - useful, friendly, active and a great comfort when confronted with some of the head scratching problems that arise. I must admit that this forum is one of the best I have encountered. WELL DONE!

An update. I have been using my lil Rig as my home during the week as I work . I leave Monday morning and return Friday afternoon. Staying in the rig has saved me money but better I have so enjoyed my time at my campsite by the gorgeous Ottawa River. Solar panels keep me going well enough. Furnace has been coming on a bit though.

Alas the weather is getting cold but no worry. The rig is going to the shop to get brakes done and checked out and hopefully head down to Arizona for wintering quarters.She made it fine there an back last year and I have no qualms she may make it again as it is running amazing well. Just not stopping so good right now. But hell, why stop eh!

But I am taking a month or so off from living the life and back to normal boring commuting daily. Sure miss the comfy home on wheels already. 

Keep on trucking.

When you see a new gasket you won't believe how flat the old one is. Not only it will not leak any more it will be a great deal quieter. There is usually are two gaskets one is actually a spacer the other is the 14X14 gasket. The spacer fits under the back of the AC unit it level it out. 

ok all done. HOpe it works.Wasn't so bad a job. I had a young lad to help. Glad to see good sturdy boards on roof. i was expectin rot. But being made of good BC fir plywood, /FraserWay Trailer fab in Burnaby did a good job years ago. better than crappy wood we get today. wood today is all shit.