Has anyone "Patched" their roof? Or other leak solutions

Grime_Divine

Please Help Me!

As title suggests. I am looking to see if anyone has before "patched" their roof, or anyone who has any ideas for me. My situation is this. After a hot and very dry May in Florida rainy season is finally here. Come to see I have 2 leaks at the rear ceiling of my Toy.  Water is coming in around the screws where the ladder is attached to the roof, essentially just screws straight through the sheet metal. PO must have done some sort of half whit cover up to years of water damage. Now the thin aluminum roofing is totally rusted, oxidized and flaky. In no state to stop water, even though the roof above and the ladder attachments have been totally resealed, seems like the sealant doesnt stand a chance with nothing solid underneath it. Does anyone have experience with this sort of thing? I am wondering if it is possible to DIY patch this with a smaller piece of sheet metal, or perhaps use a 1x6 or so board to elevate this area and avoid water pooling in the first place. Is there any possibility of a better sealant up top stopping this for any amount of time, or would that just be a temporary bandaid at best? Luckily I have pretty much the entire camper torn apart at this moment, so im open to most ideas. I've even considered sawing off the top portion of the ladder (I dont use it, and I highly doubt this rotten sheet metal is providing much stability when I do) to make some sort of patch job more permanent. 

IMG-9257.JPG

58179582888--7E1BB87E-F7A0-4326-B931-41869899AD59.JPG

Guest wemit

Well, for starters, why not remove the ladder entirely? Most Toyota RV roofs aren't really that strong so having a ladder for access to the roof doesn't do your roof any favors. I removed my ladder and "roof rack" (what could anyone possibly store up there that would require a roof rack?) and covered the holes with "Eternabond" tape. Seems to be doing the job-no leaks.

For your roof, I'd look into covering the bad portion with sheet aluminum firmly bedded down with butyl tape and screws plus trying to get rid of the sagging part any way you can. 

On 6/11/2019 at 9:54 AM, wemit said:

Well, for starters, why not remove the ladder entirely? Most Toyota RV roofs aren't really that strong so having a ladder for access to the roof doesn't do your roof any favors. I removed my ladder and "roof rack" (what could anyone possibly store up there that would require a roof rack?) and covered the holes with "Eternabond" tape. Seems to be doing the job-no leaks.

For your roof, I'd look into covering the bad portion with sheet aluminum firmly bedded down with butyl tape and screws plus trying to get rid of the sagging part any way you can. 

Hm, do you suppose it would be better to place something on top, or to cut out the bad portion and replace it?

Guest wemit

I'd just go right over the top of the old metal. Even though it has holes and leaks, it still provides some strength. One other thing, if you go the metal patch route, give the corners a little radius or roundover. Doing that eliminates sharp corners that can catch on stuff and is generally good sheet metal practice.