While doing an axle upgrade, I busted a nut.  I got a 1 ton axle from a guy, he said it was off an 86.  I thought the reverse threaded nuts were only on the 85, so I guess he was wrong.  anyway, can I just find a replacement axle so I dont have to deal with reverse threads, because im either looking at getting a reverse stud and nut, or replacing all the studs for clockwise, or just get an axle with nuts.  whats best option besides running with only 5 nuts?

Yeah you can still buy them, from Toyota no less. 

https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/toyota~bolt~hub~for~rear~axle~90942-02057.html?Make=Toyota&Model=Pickup&Year=1986&Submodel=&Filter=()&Location=rear-axle-shaft-hub,,42611E

I would take the part number in to a nearby dealer and have them order it. Be quicker even if it costs a little more

Linda S

10 minutes ago, linda s said:

Yeah you can still buy them, from Toyota no less. 

https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/toyota~bolt~hub~for~rear~axle~90942-02057.html?Make=Toyota&Model=Pickup&Year=1986&Submodel=&Filter=()&Location=rear-axle-shaft-hub,,42611E

I would take the part number in to a nearby dealer and have them order it. Be quicker even if it costs a little more

Linda S

The nut for that wheel cause it sounds like you need that too

https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/toyota~nut~hub~for~axle~90942-01009.html?Make=Toyota&Model=Pickup&Year=1986&Submodel=&Filter=()&Location=disc-wheel-wheel-cap,,42601C

I have not seen anyone have any luck finding l hand studs and nuts.   To make this adventure way more fun,  if the wheels are from an 86 to my understanding  they will have 6 hand holes instead of three and will require a flanged nut instead of a cone shaped nut.  One owner went  back to the junk yard where he bought the wheels to pick up the nuts he left behind. 

Toy's use the Acorn/tapered cone seat and the 86 will use something like the mag seat nut.

I think Derek had some part #'s on this? 

lug nut types.PNG

Edited by jjrbus

I came across a Recall for foolies that were apparently better suited to Fords (same bolt circle as Toyota) The problem was described as 'cracks' (no other details). I can only guess that the problem cracks were at the wheel lug holes.

I did a bit of research and Toyota nuts did appear to be 60 degree tapers. I saw a few descriptions of Ford nuts being 'bulge' nuts/seats. I'm not sure exactly what the specs of the 'bulge' are.

Ford Ranger Wheel Recall - Huntsman.jpg

2 hours ago, jjrbus said:

I have not seen anyone have any luck finding l hand studs and nuts.   To make this adventure way more fun,  if the wheels are from an 86 to my understanding  they will have 6 hand holes instead of three and will require a flanged nut instead of a cone shaped nut.  One owner went  back to the junk yard where he bought the wheels to pick up the nuts he left behind. 

Toy's use the Acorn/tapered cone seat and the 86 will use something like the mag seat nut.

I think Derek had some part #'s on this? 

lug nut types.PNG

That's why I thought they were regular threaded, 5 hand hole wheels all around.

Well I hope you mean 6 hand hole. There are only 2 choices, 6 for the 1986 and 3 for all later models. The 6 hand hole wheels will always have left hand lugs on the rear drivers side only. Do tell us what your dealer says about ordering them though. Same part shows up on dealers websites all over the country so not just the place I posted. 

Linda S

2 hours ago, linda s said:

Well I hope you mean 6 hand hole. There are only 2 choices, 6 for the 1986 and 3 for all later models. The 6 hand hole wheels will always have left hand lugs on the rear drivers side only. Do tell us what your dealer says about ordering them though. Same part shows up on dealers websites all over the country so not just the place I posted. 

Linda S

This is where confusion came from.  My outers and fronts are 5 hole.  As for studs, Toyota had plenty avaliable, not discontinued yet. With that said. What's proper procedure to remove stud, I've pounded others out before but these look like they either have a nut on back or are threaded into the nut.

DSC_1140.JPG

Edited by moalaska

Me either. My fronts have no hand holes. Just regular Toyota wheels with lots of little holes around the rim. Rear is 6 hand holes but smaller than yours. Mine is all original and I have never seen a 5 hand hole dually for any Toyota. Your dually doesn't look as deep as mine measure the depth from stud hole to edge of rim straight out. Mine is 7 inches

Linda S

Ford Ranger dually setup's had 5 hand hole wheels. Since Ray at Custom and Commercial is the only one with blanks for those wheels , or did have in the past, he must have made it and drilled it out for the Toyota lug pattern. Still don't know if the depth is correct. All Ranger duallies were custom conversions. Not made by Ford

Linda S

17 minutes ago, linda s said:

Ford Ranger dually setup's had 5 hand hole wheels. Since Ray at Custom and Commercial is the only one with blanks for those wheels , or did have in the past, he must have made it and drilled it out for the Toyota lug pattern. Still don't know if the depth is correct. All Ranger duallies were custom conversions. Not made by Ford

Linda S

I'm pretty sure offsets are different for those verses the 6 hole.  I'll look when I get home.  

The weird wheels have a 3/4" deeper offset than the Toyota wheels.  It's weird I have 5 holes on the outside and 6 holes on inside.  Anyway here is picture of the stud, how to remove?  You can also see lugnut shape in background.

DSC_1143.JPG

DSC_1141.JPG

DSC_1142.JPG

Is there anything stamped into the mystery steel wheels that might give a clue to their origins? Or since I believe you got the rims with the axle, anything marked on the axle?

I think you said you've 5-hole rims up front. Presumably that means your axle came with 4 5-hole rims, 2 of which ended up front, 2 on the outside rear (for symmetry).

20 hours ago, linda s said:

Linda S

That’s interesting! Mine is an 86. The axle was replaced to full float and the wheels are 3 hand hole and no left hand lugs on the drivers side. Guess I got Lucky 

3 hours ago, Derek up North said:

Is there anything stamped into the mystery steel wheels that might give a clue to their origins? Or since I believe you got the rims with the axle, anything marked on the axle?

I think you said you've 5-hole rims up front. Presumably that means your axle came with 4 5-hole rims, 2 of which ended up front, 2 on the outside rear (for symmetry).

Yeah at some point I think they rotated them.  I pulled the hub adapters off doner vehicle with 5 hole rims in the front.  Still trying to figure out what happened, how it ended up with that configuration.  I would think if it was recall retrofit it would have standard 6 hole wheels all around, and it would seem like it would be recalled if they put the hub adapters on the front instead of just doing the rear.   Anyway, the 5 hole wheels have lots of corrosion, don't know if I would be able to find any markings.  So how do I get the stud out?  Do I have to slide the axle out and separate it from the drum to pound it out??

Edited by moalaska

Correct Derek. What would be the difference in a full float axel for an 85 vs 86? And why have a left hand thread only on the 86? 

The 5/6 Factory front wheel adapter is VERY rare but it's real. The factory later changed the front hub to a 6/6 setup. This is the most common front used 87 on till production stopped.

The only way to figure out the propane tank capacity vs gauge is to run out of propane and fill an empty tank and look at the gauge as it fills. A propane tank is full when it reaches 80% of

volume. Full is when the spit valve emits liquid propane. 

There is no difference between an 85 full float and an 86 if they are from the factory and not an upgrade. First full float axles from 8/1985 to 8/1986, all had left hand threads on the drivers side rear wheel. Look at the link I posted earlier for the stud and nut. Shows exact dates for them

Linda S

@moalaska, have you read this thread: 

I have the same rear end on my 86, went through the process of breaking and replacing all the studs with conventional RH ones. Need to remove axel and then press the old studs out. Parts are easy to find, any local auto parts store should be able to order for you.  

15 hours ago, linda s said:

There is no difference between an 85 full float and an 86 if they are from the factory and not an upgrade. First full float axles from 8/1985 to 8/1986, all had left hand threads on the drivers side rear wheel. Look at the link I posted earlier for the stud and nut. Shows exact dates for them

Linda S

My axle was upgraded to the Full float. No left hand thread on drivers side.

31 minutes ago, moalaska said:

Ahh I guess I'll just service bearings while I'm at it.

When you pull the axles you really should replace the axle seals. Inner and outer. They are not expensive but very important. Pay attention to how the inner shaft seal comes out. Needs to go back in same way. Probably the outer one too but think that one was more obvious. Toyota has them but Rock auto is way cheaper. Just make sure it says for dually wheels

Linda S