That dolphin was going 80!

Bikemike

We just drove our escaper across the country; moving from western North Carolina to the green side of Oregon. I just flew back out east to pick up our Subaru. Here I am, easily cruising up I 80 at 75 mph near north platte, Nebraska...and I get passed by a dolphin!  We rarely get ours over 60. It didn’t even look like a v6!

There is a membership gas station near me that has ethanol free gas but their website says they can not sell for your vehicle. Only for small engines like an outboard motor. Think it must be illegal in California. 

Linda S

Ethanol has a higher octane rating than gasoline it's about 113 so you mix 10% ethanol with 85 octane gasoline it jumps to 87. The down side it does not have the heat energy gasoline does so basically it's a wash most ultra performance engines burn straight alcohol because of the anti knock properties at a much higher fueling rate. I use it in everything from chainsaws, mowers, weed wackers to snow mobiles I have never had any kind of issues.  

9 hours ago, Derek up North said:

Most have found a tank full of ethanol free gas. :)

Yeah and they pay for it because it's only in high test that's ethanol free.

Maybe it was MtDave he have a V8. 

I have had mine up to 80 and do not care for the way it handles, 70 seems about tops without white knuckles.

4 hours ago, wemit said:

What is a "membership gas station"?

Like Costco but for gas. You join and you can buy gas much cheaper than anywhere else. They also carry a wide range of specialty gas like for race cars.    Renner petroleum is the company

Linda S

If I had the bucks I’d drop a Cummins 2.8 turbo diesel into my rig. 161 hp, 310 ft. lbs of torque and only weighs 500#s. Comes as a crate engine with all attachments. Only problem is it’s about $9K. I can dream. 🙂

6 hours ago, jjrbus said:

70 seems about tops without white knuckles

That seems like a pretty accurate statement from my experience. 

My previous camper was a 1965 VW bus with a camper interior and it could only go about 60 before you hit the white knuckles. I drove that VW for over 20 years until I graduated to the current rig. So you can understand that when I first got the Yoterhome up to 70 I was amazed at how stable it was and how _amazingly_ fast I was going!  Now that a few years have past with the RV I, like Fred, am yearning for something like a Cummins 2.8 turbo diesel...  

My previous rig was a bicycle!  Now, racing up a steep grade at 15 mph in 1st gear, with all kinds of luxury gear is like a dream!

On 6/7/2019 at 1:48 PM, fred heath said:

If I had the bucks I’d drop a Cummins 2.8 turbo diesel into my rig. 161 hp, 310 ft. lbs of torque and only weighs 500#s. Comes as a crate engine with all attachments. Only problem is it’s about $9K. I can dream. 🙂

Same kind of power could be had out of a 2.0 vw TDI for like $3k total and around 350#... Let's be real though, saying you have a Cummins powered toyhome would be dope!

Edited by gmg

Best to stick with toyota they make incredible 3.0 liter 4 cylinder turbo diesel

Japan exports these deisel engines with 30,000 to 50,000 on them with transmission for around 3,000 dollars

In japan strict smog regulations is why they pull those engine and drop new ones in as replacement.

Those engines are standard in pickups and foretuners which is the 4 runner version. They get around 23 to 26 miles per gallon and have the power of a gas v8 used to drive them in rental vehicles in the 90s thru 2000.

They ship to most countries in those 3rd world countries where labor is cheap and they are very familiar with toyota hilux deisel engines their engine swap and adaption is around 1500 or less.

Those engines are available in USA with some japanese engine importers but your cost and labor install will be higher.

They will get up those mountain grades much faster.

37 minutes ago, tropicstar said:

Best to stick with toyota they make incredible 3.0 liter 4 cylinder turbo diesel

Japan exports these deisel engines with 30,000 to 50,000 on them with transmission for around 3,000 dollars

In japan strict smog regulations is why they pull those engine and drop new ones in as replacement.

Those engines are standard in pickups and foretuners which is the 4 runner version. They get around 23 to 26 miles per gallon and have the power of a gas v8 used to drive them in rental vehicles in the 90s thru 2000.

They ship to most countries in those 3rd world countries where labor is cheap and they are very familiar with toyota hilux deisel engines their engine swap and adaption is around 1500 or less.

Those engines are available in USA with some japanese engine importers but your cost and labor install will be higher.

They will get up those mountain grades much faster. 

What the Japanese do is raise the insurance/tax every year to make the vehicles more expensive to own this gets older vehicles off the street usually around 60K. The US is the world's leading exporter of diesel fuel so they somehow convinced the EPA diesels were major polluters never mind the fact they do 30% better than a gas engine on fuel usage. Diesel engines turn a good bit slower but doesn't mind being against the governor so they make nice toyhome engines. Mexico is full of diesel powered Toyotas take a trip and bring an engine home tell customs you took it with you for traction in the pucker brush in your pickup.

43 minutes ago, Maineah said:

Mexico is full of diesel powered Toyotas take a trip and bring an engine home tell customs you took it with you for traction in the pucker brush in your pickup.

As they (diesels) are everywhere else on the planet.

If you're going to Mexico in your Toyota to pick up a diesel engine, you might as well have it installed there as well.

On 6/12/2019 at 7:05 AM, Derek up North said:

As they (diesels) are everywhere else on the planet.

If you're going to Mexico in your Toyota to pick up a diesel engine, you might as well have it installed there as well.

Interesting idea. Has anyone done it? Any leads?