Rear Dinette or Bust

rdsrds123

Hi, the rear dinette floor plan is highly sought after, myself included.  It just seems natural, as opposed to having a table that needs to be removed before climbing into the bunk. However, many people have floor plans that are other to rear dinette and say that they like them. Could folks please comment here on floor plans. I'd like to get some first hand opinions on what people like and don't like. Thanks!

Guest wemit

I have the rear dinette floor plan and I think its far superior to the floor plan with the rear toilet/shower. I take down the rear dinette every night to sleep and after doing it a few hundred times, I can get the bed completely ready in about one minute or a little less. It does take some practice, though. The big deal with the rear dinette is the sense of openness when the curtains are pulled back, the dinette is made up as a dinette and those big rear windows are letting all that daylight in on a nice sunny day. Several people have been surprised at how big and open this little 20 footer seems when they first get a look inside.

View Looking Aft.jpg

My Escaper had a full-time rear bed. It was great for 2 people 1 up top and 1in the bed. Think of a hotel room on wheels.

It was great if you were outside all day, just fall into bed. On a rainout day, it was too small for 2 people.

Rear dinettes are pretty sweet, and the huge windows on each side make it even better! I also like the idea of being able to have a rear bed. If you're having a friend sleep over in these tiny boxes its best to have them at the opposite side of the vehicle, with a curtain you even get some privacy! My previous Escaper had the rear bathroom/ kitchen and when I would have people camp with me it was awkward having them sleeping on the fold out couch basically directly underneath my over cab bed. It made crawling out of the bed in the middle of the night to pee even more awkward! 

I ended up getting an 86 Gulfstream Conquest with the rear bath and we do love it ,but our first pick was an Odyssey with the rear dinette ,the one we looked at was to rough tho. 

Id say there are pros and cons to either floor plan. To me our Conquest feels roomier than the Odyssey did, so much more natraul light with the big rear window tho!

My opinion (only):-

There is no 'best' layout. Each has it advantages. If there was a 'best' layout, I feel that by the time production ceased, there would have only one layout offered by manufacturers. My 'gut feeling' is that the rear bath (as in the Dolphin 900) layout was the most often purchase and thus an indicator of what most Buyers felt was the 'best' compromise (at least at the time of purchase). The 900 was the model featured on all Dolphin brochure from 1987-1994. The rear dinette probably in 2nd place.

We converted ours to 2 jackknife sofas with a removable table in the middle that hooks on to the wall just below the window. The beds meet in the middle to form a queen size bed which we can set up in less than 60 seconds. The view with the panoramic windows is great as are the 2 separated sleeping areas. The downside is the shower right behind the driver seat; not much seat back extension room if youre tall and need it. Don't know if other layouts are like this too.

IMG_20171015_155624029.jpg

It was actually a ponderosa layout that we converted to a double jackknife sofas layout. Previous owner had replaced the dinette on the passenger side with a table, chair and a tall, heavy high school locker.  We tore both sides out but kept the drivers side sliding sofa, base only, and drove up to elkhardt Indiana and purchased 2 matching jackknife sofas. Then purchased 2 Amish cabinets leftovers to be used as the couch base and for more storage on the pass. side,; we put 2  cabinets end on to match the height and length of the other side exactly.

The drivers side couch can slide out some so they can meet in the middle when flat to form a queen bed. We then have an Allen wrench that inserts into an adjustable hole so it can't move.

It's so easy and fast to set up that we only sleep there unless we have the grandkids.

We have a 1.5ft by 4 foot table that we use to eat on that attaches to the wall between them when the couches aren't flat.

This was my wife's design and seems to work great.

I have rear kitchenette.  There is VERY little room to prep for a meal and do the dishes.   I have ALWAYS wanted a side kitchenette.    Maybe I'm wrong?  

There's only so many 'bigger' features you can fit in 22' x 7' (minus the cab). You can't fit in a big kitchen, bathroom, sleeping area and sleeping area. Something's gotta give. Owners of the biggest Class A's probably have the same complaints as you. Borrow a Teardrop for a weekend and you'll appreciate what you've got more! :)