1991 Toyota Dolphin

shanw5

I just purchased a 1991 Toyota Dolphin today. I know they don't go very fast but on a steep hill on the way home I got down to 10 miles an hour and wasn't sure if I was going to make it up the hill. I did not have the AC on so that wasn't the issue is this normal for this type of vehicle?

How steep are we talking here? Like mountain passes or like a mild hill? 

I would think that it would go over 10 miles an hour. I was seriously afraid that it wasn't going to make it up the hill. I'm hoping if I change the plugs and wires maybe it'll help. Also maybe putting it in a lower gear might help. Just a little bummed because I just purchased today. 

The 3.0 is a fine motor. It should be able to make a moderate hill with ease. Sounds like you’re in need of a good vehicle inspection. 

The 3.0 V6 did have some issues with the head gasket. Toyota had a Special Service campaign to fix them. A Toyota dealer should be able to look it up and see if yours has ever been done. If not you can call the Toyota corporate number and they can check it. You have to ask about the special service campaign, if you call it a recall they will tell you there is none. If yours has not been done they are still doing them. Here is the info

http://www.google.co...hUlCd3_VgILtC3A

opens an adobe file if I did this right

Linda S

11 hours ago, shanw5 said:

Its the 3.0, is that a bad motor? Sorry I don't know much about the vehicles.

I have a '90 Dolphin, probably same as yours; I know it has the same drivetrain.  I don't have a lot of crap in it, just what you would expect on an RV including a full tank of gas and water tank, and the steepest hill I climbed was on I-8 between El Centro and San Diego.  My engine is tip-top shape, with 65K miles on it, and the climb I did on it goes from sea level to just over 4000' in about, oh, like 10 miles? Maybe less.  It's pretty steep.  My speed came down to about 35MPH at the slowest point (I think I was in 2nd gear at that point) but most of the way I was doing 45MPH in 3rd gear.  I was being passed by everyone but I did pass some semis and a RAM truck pulling a 5th wheel.  Hope this gives you a point of reference as to what to expect.

On 6/2/2019 at 8:45 PM, shanw5 said:

I did notice that any kind of video I could find showing how to change the spark plugs on a 91 has been deleted on YouTube. That is kind of crazy.

Just noting that 1) a 91 Warrior typically has a 90 chassis underneath and 2) spark plug replacement is not particularly difficult on this engine: easier than some, harder than others, but not super-challenging.