Advice on buying 1992 Sunrader with 3.01V6

Kbird

Hello everyone! I’m looking for some advice from those with more knowledge and experience. I’m on the hunt for a Sunrader and found one in excellent condition. Only thing is instead of the 22RE (which is part of the allure of the Toyota sunrader) it has the 3.01V6 engine. Seems like there are some out there who HATE this engine and others who think it’s fine. I could see the benefit to having more power for a Motorhome. It’s a 21ft 1992 sunrader with 172,000, has the correct 6 lug full floating axel. Any thoughts? I guess I’m mainly wondering if it’s even worth my time and energy to check it out or if I want to avoid this engine.

The 3VZE V-6 has a few points that need to be condidered when buying an RV that has it.  This engine was recalled because of a headgasket issue. Toyota fixed it, but if the RV you consider has not had it done, beware. Also, the timing belt/ valve adjustment cost about $800. Way ahead to find one that had the recall done and a recent belt/ valve adjustment. You can give the VIN to a Toyota dealer, and they can tell you if the headgasket recall was done. Some people say Toyota will still honor the recall, where other folks say no.

So I should make sure there’s been a recent head gasket replacement and timing belt/valve adjustment. Toyota would replace the head gasket if needed at no charge but the timing belt and valve adjustment would be up to me? 

HG replacement doesn't need to be "recent" necessarily... you just need to make sure the work has been done at some point—dealer should be able to look up your vehicle by VIN and confirm yay/nay. Timing belt and valve adjustment are up to you, yes. Both are important (and WAY overdue at 172K, if never done). T-belt is pretty straightforward, but the valve adjustment is a real bear in my opinion (and costly).

I've seen no evidence that checking valve clearance were included in the SSC procedure. It would certainly be good practice for a mechanic to check them, but since they're only reimbursed for what's in the procedure, I fear that often in practice it would have been skipped. Don't count on it.

1993 Maintenance Schedule.jpg

1993 Maintenance Schedule (con't).jpg

Thanks everyone for the information! It’s been really helpful. I decided to not go for the one with 172,000 miles but there’s another v6 I found with 74,000 miles and it’s great to know what to be checking for. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Great Condition v6 Sunrader with the generator and awnings, etc. for sale.

if interested, call me at 608 217 6225