Think Before You Buy

Scott iv

I've owned a 1987 Damon Escaper for a few years now. Has the 22re motor and I purchased for $4000.  I knew going in that the camper was OLD!!! It would need a lot of work and money to get it safe for my family.  These campers are all old. None have been made in 20+ years and all will need repairs ongoing. I have been surprised ongoing about discussions considering things to look for when purchasing one of these old Toyotas; I'm even more surprised by the price of ones in what they call mint condition. You are going to find problems. If seller says everything works and nothing is wrong with it, well know there soon will be something. If you have a pre purchase check list and expectations everything will be perfect your looking at the wrong campers. Come on folks. Look at the year of the machine you are purchasing. Even the mint ones have had sun, weather, bugs and rodents, and a lot of human traffic in and out of them over many years. Know before you buy you will be spending time and money or paying someone a considerable amount of money to keep it up to snuff. Its an outrage people are charging $15,000 (and higher; I've seen over $19,000)for ones with low miles in mint condition (OLD!!!). These are interesting campers but few if any will ever be considered show pieces or collectors; that's not what you looking at one for anyway is it?

Don't even get me started about the outrageous fuel economy claims out there. 

I apologize for my strong opinion but want people to think when they are looking for what they hope to be problem free economical motorhome. Yes these motorhomes can be reliable, reasonably fuel efficient, and fun to own. However, plan for putting in time to repair many different things that break, rattle, come loose, and just plain no longer work without replacing. This applies to your mint ones as well. 

I have always had weird but desirable campers and cars, VW (including syncros), Casitas, Jeep CRD and all have appreciated beyond what I would pay for them. I bought most of my VW's for less than a grand, now you can't find a rusted out shell for that price. I feel the Toyhomes are headed in the same direction, Sunrader leading the pack. The "vanlife" movement is picking up steam on one end and people are moving to full service RV's on the other end. Toyhomes are getting a lot of attention from the van people who want driveabilty and an on board bathroom. My ride is young in miles but old in years so I know it will need some love but I'm cool with taking care of it. It's not for everyone.

Well my Granville is close to mint and she’s old. That’s why I call her Grannie! You are correct Scott. No matter the condition of these rigs extra work will be required at some point. But I disagree with you regarding price. Have you looked at new RV’s close to the same size as our rigs? And if you have a Toyota RV in good condition appreciation is a Major factor! I can sell Grannie for much more than I paid for her. Try that with a new RV as soon as you drive it off the lot! 

18 hours ago, Scott iv said:

Yes these motorhomes can be reliable, reasonably fuel efficient, and fun to own. However, plan for putting in time to repair many different things that break, rattle, come loose, and just plain no longer work without replacing. This applies to your mint ones as well. 

I bought my 1991 Itasca with 35K miles 5 years ago for $8,500. It now has 140K miles and I could easily sell it for $10 -$11,000 or more (get offers all the time). I have maintained it to the max with many upgrades. But you do bring up some good points. Of course vehicles this old are always going to need more maintenance than a newer model. How much would depend on how the previous owner took care of it, but always something.

If you do all of your own work like myself it is really no problem. So for do-it-selfers, back yard mechanics, and resourceful owners who know how to get the best parts deals and how-to information from the internet these are great deals and well worth the money. If you buy one that has not been maintained properly and plan to pay mechanics and RV shops to do all the work maybe it is not the right one for you because, yes, they will require more maintenance the more you use them and the older they get.

I get 15MPG at 55MPH and 12.5MPG at 70MPH (6cyl 3.4L) and if I ever do put it up for sale it will stay at this and not miraculously increase like some seem to do. haha

The thing about these motorhomes is bargains can still be found. Mark and Ed you both know that. Still you MUST know or be willing to learn how to work on them. Depending on hiring people for every little repair can kill a budget. Hey I did it. Gee some people even ask me for advice now. How did that happen. Best thing about a Toyota? I can pull into any gas station or 7-11 and not worry about parking or getting out. 

Linda S

Well in UK it's a crowd draw. Pull in to a filling station or supermarket car park and an hour will disappear before you even start to do what ever you need to do. Know of 4 in UK. More exclusive that any supercar. Mpg is probably the same. Mine is under going renovation at moment. Engine is being suped up with a supra vafm and 2 1/4 stainless steel exhaust. Trying to solve earthing issue on one rear light. Upgraded headlight to separate bulb and lens. Bulbs 120% more light. Chassis being derusted and sealed with oxide paint from a farmer's merchant. Then the inside will be refurbished and upgraded. Layout will be tweaked. Yes camper life is taking off in Europe with custom made campers running into thousands for conversation alone without base vehicle. Toys are not a lot different in size to a large van in UK. Every one wants diesel engine but are hard pushed to do over 30mpg. Diesel over here is 5p a litre more than petrol so not alot different in pence per mile. I've got another toy owner in UK want to sell his Winnebago. How do you price a unique vehicle in UK market. 

i tend to agree with most of your observations regarding our 'OLD'  rigs. i have some strong opinions as well. i dispute your view as to value. these are desirable vehicles to a segment of the RV world. simple economics law of supply and demand regulate the price of anything, including these rigs. i have found most owners, in my opinion, truly are invested in keeping them road worthy and attractive. i also feel a certain passion exists because owners know that they are preserving a bit of history by maintaining and updating their rigs. When i bought my rig i was as neubie as one could be. not ever having owned a MH before. i give a ton of credit to this forum for helping with information, and answering a ton of questions from neubies .  almost every inquiry from prospective buyers on this forum have had an answer that hopefully will be of benefit in directing the buyer to make an informed purchase. advertised prices are also usually negotiable. it is very true that even "mint" rigs will require upkeep, and that should be factored in when considering a purchase. that said name something with a motor and wheels that DOES NOT require upkeep.  bottom line is if you feel the price is too much, don't buy it. joe from dover.

• 3 months later...

Perhaps it would be useful to share with prospective owners, our specific experiences with the old Toyota motorhomes as examples of the good, the bad and the ugly involved in owning something manufactured in the distant past? 

I have had two Toyota chassis motorhomes and I am now looking for a third. I did give up the chase for a while after seeing one on eBay for which they described everything wrong with it, possibly, and it made me realize exactly what Scott iv said, these motorhomes are 26 years old, at the newest.

So why am I looking for a third, and something absolutely ancient? #1 - Because of the dependability and longevity of the Toyota 6-cylinder engine. I have absolute confidence in the Toyota chassis and power plant and power train. Not so much in the manufacturers of the "coach" part. #2 - Because of my past experience with these motorhomes, I know at least to some extent what flaws to look for in these vehicles when considering buying one. #3 - I have also honed in on these RVs in my search because they have everything I want and need in an RV, and not a bunch of stuff (weight, $$) that I do not want. So I guess a lot of it is personal. 

I am capable of doing some repairs myself, and have a mechanic on hand for smaller repairs, but it seems most important to do a thorough check before buying one. Include having a reputable mechanic give it a once over, check the VIN for past accidents,  get online and look for reviews, and go over it inch by inch before buying. I will use this checklist this time http://changingears.com/rv-checklist-inspection.shtml

Do your homework, be thorough in your investigation before buying, and then ENJOY! If you get a GOOD one you will have one fine time!

Edited by steensraven

Hmm what sold me was people using them at Burning Man. The Toy Campers have "coolness' burnt into them. People, some ,wave and smile when I lumber by.

22re has heart of a lion. Tough little rig. Most fun vehicle I ever owned, almost as good as my 33HP Kubota tractor. well better as it has a fridge that keeps my beer cold. 

Keep on trucking man.

26 minutes ago, frontboat said:

Hmm what sold me was people using them at Burning Man. The Toy Campers have "coolness' burnt into them. People, some ,wave and smile when I lumber by.

22re has heart of a lion. Tough little rig. Most fun vehicle I ever owned, almost as good as my 33HP Kubota tractor. well better as it has a fridge that keeps my beer cold. 

Keep on trucking man.

I agree. These old homes are unique and getting harder to find (decent ones). Anyone looking for a turnkey, jump in and go motor home should consider something new ($75-100K). For those of us that like getting our hands dirty and probably spending more money on upkeep than we should, Toyota is my choice.

It’s a real hoot when a guy in a new BMW M-6 passes you and gives you a thumbs up 👍.

My home is a 1979. I’m the third owner (documented) and it had 97K original miles on it. To date I’ve sunk over $17K into it. I’ll probably drop another $10K on cosmetics and paint before I’m done.

These things get under your skin. I’ll never sell it. I’ve actually listed it in my will to go to a good friend who also appreciates how unique these little campers are.

My first car was a 69 Corvair 500 coupe. It was 11 years old when I bought it making it the newest car I've ever owned. My house is 115 years old. My Toyota is a 1984 Sandtana Phoenix. When something is still viable after many years then it is worth pursuing. With due diligence of coarse. The problem with buying new is not knowing if it will hold up to the test of time. My Phoenix cost $3500 and I have spent a modest $6000 or so on repairs and upgrades. To me, the cost of buying new isn't worth the risk. Not that I could afford it anyway. Would I have recognized how cool my camper is when it was new? Maybe. But it's 35 years old now, and though its luster has worn off, it is more desirable than ever. I wish I could say the same about myself.