I can’t turn right

Bikemike

I have been blowing an inordinate amount of 10 amp fuses under the dash the last two days. It happens when I make a sharp right turn and it takes out the gauges and the alternator among other things. I haven’t noticed it happen when I turn left yet, but it happens almost every time I turn right!  This may be unrelated, but the horn hasn’t been working while the steering wheel is in certain positions. It works fine to go down the highway but around town the battery is discharging and I’m making hand signals. 

3 hours ago, Bikemike said:

I have been blowing an inordinate amount of 10 amp fuses under the dash the last two days. It happens when I make a sharp right turn and it takes out the gauges and the alternator among other things. I haven’t noticed it happen when I turn left yet, but it happens almost every time I turn right!  This may be unrelated, but the horn hasn’t been working while the steering wheel is in certain positions. It works fine to go down the highway but around town the battery is discharging and I’m making hand signals. 

Sounds like a short somewhere. Start tracing wires under the dash around the wheel looking for anything being pulled on or stressed. Check while you have someone turning the wheel to full right. 

Winner winner chicken dinner! Time to pull out the soldering iron.  

Duct tape and a tie wrap. :clown2:

Liquid Rubber might be a good choice ?Quick and easy. Doesn't look like  a lot of damage. Mostly insulation.

Edited by Homer

saw a rub through like that once on a 22RE pickup. the temp gauge read high. after replacing the radiator, thermostat, fan clutch, water pump, I found the wire harness that comes up and through the intake to the injectors and senders was rubbed through. the only wire affected was the one to the gauge sender. one strand of wire was making just enough contact with ground to make the gauge go high.