Direct to metal paint for aluminum dolphin

Anyone have experience with painting their aluminum toyhome with paint doesn’t need to be sprayed? I’d prefer to use the brush/roll methods since it seems much easier even though it may not look as clean as a spray job. What kind of paint would you guys recommend? I was looking at Shyr cryl high performance enamel from Sherwin Williams but it’s a little pricey. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated! Maybe a direct to metal paint or epoxy paint for boats? Thank you all! This is my first post here. Just want to say this forum is a Godsend for people like me/us who are bringing these beautiful vehicles back to like :)

1FE05ED6-5B36-4720-A88A-B38CE5CF1627.jpeg

Edited by NWdude
Added picture

Don't know what year National went from aluminum siding to fiberglass but either way your not painting direct to metal. Not unless your going to strip all the existing paint off. For paint if your not spraying Rustoleum. Google Rustoleum auto paint jobs. Amazing results, bluffs up beautifully

Linda S

I should have been more specific, the rv is sanded down to bare metal and primed with rust oleum primer from a air powered sprayer. As far as the top coat, I am looking for specific brands or paints that would be efficient for roll/brush on application. Sparing is a pain in the butt for me so I would really like to find something I can roll on that would look decent. 

I don't know if this is compatible with the primer you used. https://interlux.com/en/us/boat-paint/topcoat-finish

I have used it to brush paint an RV door that was fuzzy fiberglass, Thinned and 3 coats of brushed on paint made a hard shiny finish. No idea about metal.

Back in the good old days all cars were hand painted.

Not a chemist but if I had to go over Rustoleum primer I would use Rustoleum paint.  Too much difference in chemistry today in paints to start experimenting.  Nothing worse than to see bubbles rising or paint and primer starting to peel due to incompatibility!