Hey Guys,

I am just about ready to leave on my trip (3000 miles in 14days)- all has been checked twice and repaired if necessarry but,

someone mentioned the fluid in the differential case. Is this something I need to do?

From the looks of the bolt, its never been out. My max driving will be 400 miles a couple of days. but daily avg @ 200 miles.

What are the procedures for checking - kind of grease etc????

Please help!

Pager

Arkansas

post-1069-1211629990_thumb.jpg

post-1069-1211630036_thumb.jpg

WOW, what a nasty looking rear end. Maybe I should look at mine as well.

When I was in the army I had to check rear end oil levels bi annually. Our procedure was to remove the plug, put your finger inside the hole to the first knuckle and feel for the oil. The rear end uses 90W oil. If it's low, add 90W until it comes out of the hole. Simple.

Hope this helps> :ThumbUp:

Hello, if you never changed the rear end fuild, now is probably the time, most manufactures recommend every

50,000 miles. They only hold 2 to 3 quarts. Be sure you can get the filler bolt out first before you take the

drain (bottom) bolt out, that way will not end up with an empty rear end that you cannot fill in case the filler

hole bolt will not come out Be sure to hit both bolts with some WD-40 before attempting to remove them, in

my experience it is 50/50 that the bolts come out easy. Once you get the drain and filler hole bolts out, it

is just like changing your engine oil. Fill the rear end with 90W gear oil until it starts coming out of the filler

hole.

Also, there is an air vent nipple on the upper top side left side of your rear end, I believe it appears in your picture.

You want to remove it (I think a 10mm wrench) and clean it up. This vent releases any air pressure in the

rear end. If the plug gets stuck, you could end up blowing your oil seals in the rear brake areas. Once you

remove the air vent nipple, you can just use some WD-40 to clean it up. To test that it works, just blow

some air (with your mouth) and the cap should move up letting the air blow through, and when you stop

blowing, the cap should fall back down. The cap is needed to keep dirt out of the rear end.

The above is usually an easy under one hour job.

Good Luck and keep us updated on how it goes.

Dennis...

Make that 3 pints :Poster_oops: Also be aware that NOTHING will ruin a set of clothes like old 90wt

Hey Guys,

Once I got the Bolt cleaned up and drenched with liquid wrench. I noticed it had been removed - or a least attempted to be removed before.

I had to buy a 15/16" socket - this is 1/2" drive - to remove the bolt. HOWEVER - I could not break it free. So I asked one of my renters who is alot younger and a past mechanic to give it his try.

No problem - he checked the fluid - clean and real full. I feel alot better about my 3000 mile trip now.

I received and email back from the previous owner who said a full checkup and maintenace was done at 60K when he purchased the Dolphin from a dealer in St. Louis.

Any thing else I need to check? - I think I have been pretty thourough and am feeling good about the little TOY!

Pager,

Arkansas

(11 days to go)

post-1069-1211860186_thumb.jpg

Hello,

Do you know if your fuel filter has been changed? I think Toyota recommends a new

filter every 30,000 miles (small plastic golf ball size filter) and 50,000 miles for the larger

metal filter.

My 1990 has a metal filter on the passenger side frame, like right under the seat.

My 1986 Toyota pickup truck had the smaller plastic fuel filter on the top side of the

rear wheel well on the driver's side.

Dennis...

Hey there,

Not sure what filter you are referring to.

Does the differential fluid have an external filter?

Are you referring to a fuel filter?

Can you post a pic so I can see what and where?

Pager

Arknasas

Sorry, I was referring to a fuel filter.

On my 1990 Toyota with a V6, to find the fuel filter, one has to crawl under

the truck on the passenger side and look just inside of the chassis frame.

This type of fuel filter sort of looks like a metal pop can, in which the fuel

line screw into each side.

On my past 1986 Toyota pickup truck with the 2.4L 4 cylinder, it had a

golf ball side plastic fuel filter that was located under the driver side

rear wheel well, and was really easy to replace since the gas line at

this point had rubber hoses that just clamped to the fuel filter.

Dennis...