965430532_ScreenShot2019-04-23at1_10_42PM.png.7212dc20ad3370cf21f25146816e5b06.png

The above picture shows the front bumper of Toyota trucks from August of 1974  through 1978. 

1.  Can anyone please confirm how this attaches to the frame? It looks to me as through both stays rest on top of the frame rails and the bolts (90119-12001) go down through the bumper stays and into the frame. Is that correct?

2. Can the bolts be seen (and accessed) from above with the hood popped or are there things in the way?

Thanks in advance for any help or photos!!  I'd love to see a photo of how it attaches.

30 minutes ago, ChrisW said:

965430532_ScreenShot2019-04-23at1_10_42PM.png.7212dc20ad3370cf21f25146816e5b06.png

The above picture shows the front bumper of Toyota trucks from August of 1974  through 1978. 

1.  Can anyone please confirm how this attaches to the frame? It looks to me as through both stays rest on top of the frame rails and the bolts (90119-12001) go down through the bumper stays and into the frame. Is that correct?

2. Can the bolts be seen (and accessed) from above with the hood popped or are there things in the way?

Thanks in advance for any help or photos!!  I'd love to see a photo of how it attaches.

Yes to both questions. I believe it’s a 17mm socket. 

1 minute ago, ChrisW said:

Thanks, Fred!  That makes my life much easier.

Toyota of that generation favor M10x1.25 or M8x1.25 thread pitch. I think you’re a 10x1.25, but best to check. 

Thanks, Fred. I will bring a big selection of tools to cover whatever size it may be. It's very far away so I can't just pop over to it, otherwise I would not be asking.

I have to travel several hours to retrieve the Chinook.  My plan is to flat tow it by removing the bumper and stays, and bolting the tow bar brackets onto the Chinook via the same holes in the frame that the bumper stays use.  If you or anyone has any useful thoughts about that, I'm all ears.

Thanks again!

14 minutes ago, ChrisW said:

Thanks, Fred. I will bring a big selection of tools to cover whatever size it may be. It's very far away so I can't just pop over to it, otherwise I would not be asking.

I have to travel several hours to retrieve the Chinook.  My plan is to flat tow it by removing the bumper and stays, and bolting the tow bar brackets onto the Chinook via the same holes in the frame that the bumper stays use.  If you or anyone has any useful thoughts about that, I'm all ears.

Thanks again!

Good luck. Remember, the taillights are not the same as later vehicles. You may need an adapter to make everything work.

Maineah is an expert on early Toyota wiring. He can tell you what you may need if you plan to tap into the Chinook wiring harness for brake, taillights, etc. Unless you’re using magnetic lights, then you’re ok. 

Edited by fred heath

Thanks again, Fred!  I have magnetic lights so that I don't have to tamper with the Chinook's wiring at all.  

Yes that is your best bet a US vehicle used twin filament bulbs the Toyotas used two separate bulbs so it gets a bit confusing trying to make them work.