1984 Sunrader 18' - a good idea to purchase?

Hi there everyone. 

New to the Toy world but getting acquainted fast due to the Sunrader following. I was wondering if anyone could help me. A guy I know is selling his 1984 sunrader for $4400. Needs to be updated to 6 lug axle, water damage in the roof, almost completely stripped inside (except fridge and toilet- which I'm not sure are working or not), and has 153000 miles on it . Is this a good idea to buy or am I biting off more than I can chew? Mind you I am not a mechanic or even a basic DIY'er. It would all be pretty new to me on how to's. Thanks! 

11 minutes ago, Riverwarrior123 said:

Hi there everyone. 

New to the Toy world but getting acquainted fast due to the Sunrader following. I was wondering if anyone could help me. A guy I know is selling his 1984 sunrader for $4400. Needs to be updated to 6 lug axle, water damage in the roof, almost completely stripped inside (except fridge and toilet- which I'm not sure are working or not), and has 153000 miles on it . Is this a good idea to buy or am I biting off more than I can chew? Mind you I am not a mechanic or even a basic DIY'er. It would all be pretty new to me on how to's. Thanks! 

You’re looking at at least $2K to upgrade to the 6 lug axle. The home sounds like it’s been stripped to the bones. If you have no mechanical experience best to walk away. Spend a little more and get something complete. 

Don't do it! Even if you were mechanically inclined, given the information provided I wouldn't want to spend over $2,000 on that rig. 

I appreciate the comments, really! I decided to pass. The work involved with getting it to useable shape seems a little crazy. I love the Toys and have been looking for a while. A friend of mine who bought a great one spent two years looking for the right one. I love the sunrader but I like the chinooks too, and I heard that the 1978 chinook Omega had a fiberglass frame as well. So the search continues!!!

Don’t get impatient, I waited about a year to find my current rig. They pop up every month or two locally and even more often if you don’t mind making a drive. 

The right one will pop up in comparison to ending up over your head!

What is your general location? There a bunch of web watchers here that are always looking for Toy MH's that need a new home. In the search for Toys, a 200mi+ drive is not unusual.

This must be the one in Colorado:

https://fortcollins.craigslist.org/rvs/d/loveland-toyota-sunrader-rv-18/6843200704.html

It needs a lot of work. If you are not a mechanic or DIY person then you should most likely stay away from this rig.