84 Dolphin 4x4

84dolphin4x4

Hi fellow yoterhomers, I  have been a long time lurker but have never posted before, I just wanted to share my 1984 Toyota Dolphin that my grandparents bought brand new in 84.  I inherited it 2 years ago and it was in pretty rough shape. My wife and I repainted it and did a interior remodel.  lots of water damage so it was a full blown redo but worth all the effort. It, of course, was 2wd and I put an 85 solid axle in it. I wanted to keep it bone stock height so it would go down the road nice (which it sure does). Still need to put the tcase in but that will be next winter. We are getting ready to go on a weekend trip to lewiston lake area in trinity county ca. I'm a big toyota guy, I also have a 85 dually flatbed 4x4 and a 86 runner with a solid axle swap so this yoterhome has been a dream of mine for over 10 yrs and it finally came together. Will upload more pics soon. 

Thanks,

Jeff

dolphin 2.JPG

dolphin 3.JPG

Awesome!  Looks like it needs some pickup in the rear suspension. Is everything on the rear axle stock?

Yeah it could come up an inch or so the frame is level its just the way the camper sits. I left it spring under and  added a couple leafs didn't want to do spring over it would have been sky high. When i put matching tires on rear will bring it up a bit and look a little better then maybe a longer shackle.

My grandparents had the axle recall in 1993 and i believe they put more arched springs in the rear so leaf over would have been really high as compared to most. The dealer put a v6 rear end in it when it was done, also i added a stock rear sway bar and wanted to keep it. So maybe air bags we will see just want to use it this summer i have put way to much time into it. Let the good times roll!

• 3 years later...

Hi Jeff,

looks really nice!!

How did it go repairing that water damage?

I just bought one and it has some of that too, especially on the front edges and the outer sheet is coming off in one place.

Have you got any tips and tricks for how to repair it?

Thanks,

Oli