First time buyer help - is this a real model?

Wandering Fox

My partner and I found someone selling a Toyota RV and were going to check it out, but I had some questions I thought I should ask you experts about. 

The owner says it is a 1985 Toyota “Nicky”, but my spouse and I can’t find any info online about It. Are they mistaken on the model or is there actually a Toyota Nicky?

The seller mentioned that it needed minor repairs and does not have an a/c unit. Is this costly to  buy and install? Is this costly to install?

thanks for all the help in advance. :)

1 minute ago, Wandering Fox said:

This is a picture the seller sent me. I’ve blackened the plate for their privacy.

0235A98B-02BC-4F0C-9D51-45C964E2613A.jpeg

First thing to check is the rear axle. It should have 6 lug wheels. If it only has 5 lugs, it’s dangerous to drive on. You’re looking at $2K or better to upgrade to the safe 6 lug. 

11 minutes ago, fred heath said:

First thing to check is the rear axle. It should have 6 lug wheels. If it only has 5 lugs, it’s dangerous to drive on. You’re looking at $2K or better to upgrade to the safe 6 lug. 

Good to know. I will definitely make sure to check. Thanks for the information. :)

I can't say I've ever heard of a 'Nicky'. Is that the only picture?

Just looking at that 1 picture, I'll comment that the stripes look remarkably fresh, as though they've been replaced. Could it be that whoever did that also added the 'homes nickname? The font used doesn't (to me) look exactly 'commercial'.

14 minutes ago, Derek up North said:

I can't say I've ever heard of a 'Nicky'. Is that the only picture?

Just looking at that 1 picture, I'll comment that the stripes look remarkably fresh, as though they've been replaced. Could it be that whoever did that also added the 'homes nickname? The font used doesn't (to me) look exactly 'commercial'.

The seller said that it is a “rare” model and that they have only seen one other on EBay before. I can’t find any info on a “Nicky”. They are not the original owner and haven’t had it for too long. 

I’ll upload some interior pictures in case that helps. Thanks for taking the time to reply. :)

i appreciate the help.

Yes a Nicky is a real motorhome. I've seen a few over the years. Many of them are built in Nissan chassis and it's one of the only  RV makers other than Sunrader who ever used the Nissan V6 engine. This one is unusual in that it's bigger than most. All the others I've seen were shorties. The ceiling looks wavy. They are very susceptible to water damage. Check it out carefully. Might not be a good idea to try and mount a heavy AC unit on that roof. The axle is fine though

Linda S

In terms of a rooftop AC unit, many get by without one depending on the climate and time of year you will be using it.   An AC unit would replace one of the two vents on the roof. As Linda said, you will need to assess the roof strength to determine if it is feasible.  Derek thinks those beams are added in and this is definitely something to evaluate very carefully.  AC units are not overly difficult to install if you are handy, although you have to devise a way to lift it up to the roof safely.  Your other option would be to have it installed at an RV store.  I do not know what this installation cost would be.  Cost for new units is in the approximately $600 to $1200 range.  I see them come up on craigslist from time to time used.   If there is no AC electrical wiring already in place that would have to be included in the install.  Best bet would probably be to try it out as-is and then consider the AC situation down the road (if it's even possible with that roof).

If you go look at it, check carefully for any water damage at the seams, the roof, and around the floor.  Get under it and take a look too if you can (on top too if it's safe). 

9 minutes ago, linda s said:

Yes a Nicky is a real motorhome. I've seen a few over the years. Many of them are built in Nissan chassis and it's one of the only  RV makers other than Sunrader who ever used the Nissan V6 engine. This one is unusual in that it's bigger than most. All the others I've seen were shorties. The ceiling looks wavy. They are very susceptible to water damage. Check it out carefully. Might not be a good idea to try and mount a heavy AC unit on that roof. The axle is fine though

Linda S

Thank you. This is really helpful. Do you know where I can find more info on this model? Should I be typing something else in my google search?

i am seeing what you mean about the roof. I’ll be sure to take a good look at it in person. Thank you for the help. :)

8 minutes ago, Derek up North said:

Yep, something unusual going on above the dinette.

C0F96087-C9A5-4C64-9AE1-D86A46866A55.jpeg

Looks like a pretty beam has been added.

And over the fridge, a smaller one.

00ADE6BA-D5CB-492D-8E81-BFCCCBC4B64A.jpeg

Thanks for pointing that out. I wouldn’t have known if that was stock or not. If the ceiling is wavy would it need to be replaced, or is there a way to fix it and prevent further damage? Would it be worth it to fix even? Sorry for all the questions, and thank you for your help. 

7 minutes ago, AtlantaCamper said:

In terms of a rooftop AC unit, many get by without one depending on the climate and time of year you will be using it.   An AC unit would replace one of the two vents on the roof. As Linda said, you will need to assess the roof strength to determine if it is feasible.  Derek thinks those beams are added in and this is definitely something to evaluate very carefully.  AC units are not overly difficult to install if you are handy, although you have to devise a way to lift it up to the roof safely.  Your other option would be to have it installed at an RV store.  I do not know what this installation cost would be.  Cost for new units is in the approximately $600 to $1200 range.  I see them come up on craigslist from time to time used.   If there is no AC electrical wiring already in place that would have to be included in the install.  Best bet would probably be to try it out as-is and then consider the AC situation down the road (if it's even possible with that roof).

If you go look at it, check carefully for any water damage at the seams, the roof, and around the floor.  Get under it and take a look too if you can (on top too if it's safe). 

That is a lot of great information. I will definitely be on the look out for water damage. 

I double checked my email and the seller said there were no leaks and it has a new roof. I’ll definately check for damage though. Could the waviness be from poor instillation of a new roof?

No there is nowhere to look anything up. Not many made and I don't think I ever found out who made them. Appliances and other RV stuff was the same in most manufacturers so those things you can look up once you know what was used. As far as fixing the roof this unit has been well used. The originals had really nice cabinets and upholstery. I have pics on my Yahoo group but have to download them to post here. I'll try to post some later

Linda S

PS No one installs a brand new roof and leaves a wavy ceiling. 

They could have been added decades ago or recently before the (what looks like) a recent interior repaint.

A couple of unrelated (?) comments:-

- I only see 1 vent on the roof.Unusual and a roof A/C is normally installed in a standard 14" vent. Most 'homes have 3 or 4 vents.

- Looks like a 110v Dorm fridge is installed.

3 minutes ago, linda s said:

No there is nowhere to look anything up. Not many made and I don't think I ever found out who made them. Appliances and other RV stuff was the same in most manufacturers so those things you can look up once you know what was used. As far as fixing the roof this unit has been well used. The originals had really nice cabinets and upholstery. I have pics on my Yahoo group but have to download them to post here. I'll try to post some later

Linda S

PS No one installs a brand new roof and leaves a wavy ceiling. 

I would love to see your pics if you were willing to upload them later. I am aware that the inside paint job and such in here is ugly, but I don’t mind fixing it up, provided there aren’t too many serious problems (such as a wavy, water damaged roof). Thanks for all the help. 

7 minutes ago, Derek up North said:

They could have been added decades ago or recently before the (what looks like) a recent interior repaint.

A couple of unrelated (?) comments:-

- I only see 1 vent on the roof.Unusual and a roof A/C is normally installed in a standard 14" vent. Most 'homes have 3 or 4 vents.

- Looks like a 110v Dorm fridge is installed.

I take it one vent would probably give far less ventilation as well?

ha! The fridge does kind of like a dorm fridge.

as for your other reply about the fresh roof stripes, I can kind of see what you mean now that you mention it. You all have great eyes for detail.

hey there, when i had a new roof put on my 92 winnie warrior, i chose to eliminate the forward roof vent. i concluded it would just be another source of potential leaks and i did not feel the venting benefit was substantial enough to make a difference. i also did not choose to have the TV antenna put back into the roof for the same reason, potential leak source, and i am not a big fan of television, the rear vent (bathroom)  with the fan was replaced new.  just my thoughts... possibly the p.o. had the same idea and therefore only one vent. good luck, outside of rig looks good! all the best. joe from dover