Which Toy would you buy?

Free Bird

Hi all,

I am looking for my first RV to have fun with my little girl in together!

I have only 4500 to buy an new-to-me Toys. Here is what I have come across: 

• What do you think of a 1985ish dolphin? I have not been in it YET, however, the outside looks fairly decent. It has been parked for a few years near me. Someone's parents left it to him and he doesn't use it. I may be able to talk him out of it for about 4500? I stopped by to ask if I could buy it and he is thinking about it since he doesn't use it.
  • Compared to a 1986 Toyota Escaper with similar millage (60K ish) which I will beg to get about 5k ish
  • both are 4 cyl 22R

Tell me why you would choose the one you prefer??

•  1Image may contain: house and outdoor

1 minute ago, Free Bird said:

Hi all,

I am looking for my first RV to have fun with my little girl in together!

I have only 4500 to buy an new-to-me Toys. Here is what I have come across: 

• What do you think of a 1985ish dolphin? I have not been in it YET, however, the outside looks fairly decent. It has been parked for a few years near me. Someone's parents left it to him and he doesn't use it. I may be able to talk him out of it for about 4500? I stopped by to ask if I could buy it and he is thinking about it since he doesn't use it.
  • Compared to a 1986 Toyota Escaper with similar millage (60K ish) which I will beg to get about 5k ish
  • both are 4 cyl 22R

Tell me why you would choose the one you prefer??

•  1Image may contain: house and outdoor

There are many more things to consider than just which model layout and year. These things are old and have high mileage and their condition varies greatly between one another. 

Random thoughts

The Dolphin is bigger inside. The Dolphin has a reputation of poor quality build, a tendency to leak and have rotten wood. Being parked outside make this more probable. This really depends on the maintenance of the P/Os.

The Escaper should have an aluminum frame, while it may leak it won't rot.

Make sure about the 1-ton rear axle. Post pictures of the rear wheels and we will let you know what is what.

40 minutes ago, Odyssey 4x4 said:

There are many more things to consider than just which model layout and year. These things are old and have high mileage and their condition varies greatly between one another. 

they are similar year millage & motors

20 minutes ago, WME said:

Random thoughts

The Dolphin is bigger inside. The Dolphin has a reputation of poor quality build, a tendency to leak and have rotten wood. Being parked outside make this more probable. This really depends on the maintenance of the P/Os.

The Escaper should have an aluminum frame, while it may leak it won't rot.

Make sure about the 1-ton rear axle. Post pictures of the rear wheels and we will let you know what is what.

The Dolphin guy said something about some of them having a bad (I think he said axle, he DID reference something to do with the back) and said this one doesn't have that problem, it is a good one he pointed the out specifically. He did not have it for sale, I approached him about it and I know nothing about them so I was not sure what he was referring to.

Time and wear still has its toll. The Escaper could have a slipping transmission, yet the Dolphin may be 95% rotted inside from a heavy leak. I don't think one could begin comparing the two in consideration of purchase before seeing and inspecting both in person. If you are not mechanically inclined, bring someone who is. You say you have $4500,  from the pics I can see both look a bit low in the rear. This could be an entire shot suspension needing attention. Once you start adding up little repairs needed from time and age, you can easily spend a few grand. 

I had an 87 Escaper that was a great vehicle but I did basically a full rebuild of the entire mechanical vehicle including the engine from the block up. There were also plenty of systems I rebuilt in the interior of the coach to bring function back, and this was all on a vehicle in excellent condition that drove like a champ the day I bought it. The 4-banger isn't going anywhere fast but you'll get there, some can find the lack of power intimidating on highway/ mountain grade roads. 

Not trying to be discouraging, just making sure you know the possibilities! 

3 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

How would I know if the dolphin as a leak or rotten wood?

You'll have to inspect in person. Bring a good flashlight. Open every door, drawer, and cabinet and crawl around on on your knees looking into every spot and corner top to bottom inside the cabinets on the ceiling and the floor. If there is water rot, you'll likely see it. If you feel any "soft" spots on the floor (especially near the bathroom), this indicates a rotten floor. If the roof appears "saggy" in person it is likely weak from rot as well. Crawl under the truck and look for soft spots on the floor or any obvious damage, check for rust while you're down there too. 

I just bought my 1990 Odyssey a few months ago and it was advertised (and looked to be) in pretty dang good condition. Upon tearing it down for a rebuild it was apparent there was a good amount of water damage throughout. The rear wall is the only wall on the Odyssey without aluminum framing. When we ripped that covering off of that wall it was apparent nearly the ENTIRE rear wall of the vehicle was a soft wooden pulp, barely held together by the cabinetry and other random parts of the camper. If I had been rear ended by a bicycle they would have went straight through the wall and landed in my living room!

You have to inspect in person. Make sure everything works. Have them plug the RV into 115v ( household current) and start the refer. Check the water pump and lights plugged in AND unplugged. Don't forget the previous moisture checks too.

In order of replacement $$$ Refer $800, water heater $500, Power Converter $175, water pump $80. Then there are tires, brakes, shocks, airbags, rear springs.

If you don't have skills most RV shops charge $60-100 an HOUR. So buy the best one you can afford, its cheaper in the long run. If you don't trust yourself to evaluate one then look in Craigs List for a mobile RV mechanic.

While they seem cute they are still a fully functional RV with all the stuff as a 40 ft one.

I like the Dolphin. Found the ad for the other one and seems shady to me. Of course you need to check it out but do all the things the guys mention and get back to us. Guy didn't even plan on selling so not like someone is going to beat you to it. 

Linda S

4 hours ago, linda s said:

I like the Dolphin. Found the ad for the other one and seems shady to me. Of course you need to check it out but do all the things the guys mention and get back to us. Guy didn't even plan on selling so not like someone is going to beat you to it. 

Linda S

The escaper ad guy did not respond since yesterday so I assume its sold.

I will take the dolphin to a local RV repair shop and have them do a FULL inspection no matter the cost just to see what I may be in for down the road and hope it is worth the 4k and decent as is for now.

I have been investigating further thanks to this site and have since also been looking at the Sunrader, realizing it is way out of my price range is a pit of a spoiler but if I see any here in san diego in anyone's driveway, I wont hesitate to knock on doors and hope they don't know the worth and beg to take it off their hands hehehehe

1 hour ago, Free Bird said:

The escaper ad guy did not respond since yesterday so I assume its sold.

I will take the dolphin to a local RV repair shop and have them do a FULL inspection no matter the cost just to see what I may be in for down the road and hope it is worth the 4k and decent as is for now.

I have been investigating further thanks to this site and have since also been looking at the Sunrader, realizing it is way out of my price range is a pit of a spoiler but if I see any here in san diego in anyone's driveway, I wont hesitate to knock on doors and hope they don't know the worth and beg to take it off their hands hehehehe

I actually got my Escaper from word of mouth and it wasn't even for sale! I was joking with the guy at advance auto parts and said, "I really want one of those tiny Toyota motorhomes, know anyone that has one for sale?!" He said his buddy had one he wanted to sell but hadn't put it up yet. I said yeah righttttt

Two days later I was handing over the cash! Best part was that the dude lived five minutes from me. 

• 2 weeks later...

Remember Free Bird you’ll probably have to spend quite a bit of extra $$ for needed repairs ie. Tires, etc.