Cleaning outside

BBC3

Hello

My Dolphin is dirty. Lots of grime and such. I've taken it to a car wash - do it yourself type - and brushed it and so on, but it did not remove the grey grime. I've used some grime remover from the hardware store, and some elbow grease, but with limited results.....Anyone got a line on some decent grime removing product!?

Thanks!

BBC3

Lots of elbow grease. When you're done check out Zep wax ...http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=96462.0

On 4/13/2019 at 3:52 PM, Derek up North said:

I'd expect to have to add elbow grease to anything. :)

ce3f2819302690f372fb263bb56f625f_ra,w380

Thanks I'll have a go.

On 4/13/2019 at 4:19 PM, WME said:

Lots of elbow grease. When you're done check out Zep wax ...http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=96462.0

Thanks. I read the thread, and seems mixed opinion. I'm getting the vibe that it would sharpen up a somewhat dulled fiberglass outside, and would not ruin it at least.....might not be the 'best' product, but likely, for my 1991 Dolphin, just the ticket. Thanks. I've ordered the cleanser, and once i get that done and used the Zep, I'll take a photo and post it here. Cheers!

11 hours ago, BBC3 said:

Thanks. I read the thread, and seems mixed opinion. I'm getting the vibe that it would sharpen up a somewhat dulled fiberglass outside, and would not ruin it at least.....might not be the 'best' product, but likely, for my 1991 Dolphin, just the ticket. Thanks. I've ordered the cleanser, and once i get that done and used the Zep, I'll take a photo and post it here. Cheers!

As with anything hyped on the net I was hesitant to try the BK  and Zep wax.  I tried a small area with the BK and was shocked at what a great job it did!  It does require a lot of elbow grease, so I did one side at a time.   Some insist on using microfiber cloths to apply Zep,  normal applicator is a mop.  If using micro fiber be sure to wash first as color bleedout can tint zep!

Zep has been on there over a year and still looks good.  I will likely do a good wash and add another coat this year.

If you are in the south some of the grime may be mold, try using a mild bleach solution next time you wash.

11 hours ago, jjrbus said:

As with anything hyped on the net I was hesitant to try the BK  and Zep wax.  I tried a small area with the BK and was shocked at what a great job it did!  It does require a lot of elbow grease, so I did one side at a time.   Some insist on using microfiber cloths to apply Zep,  normal applicator is a mop.  If using micro fiber be sure to wash first as color bleedout can tint zep!

Zep has been on there over a year and still looks good.  I will likely do a good wash and add another coat this year.

If you are in the south some of the grime may be mold, try using a mild bleach solution next time you wash.

Thanks! If it would just stop raining for a minute........

Unfortunately I worked my butt off cleaning Grannie with Barkeepers Friend! Took Days. I made sure all residue was completely removed and applied 6 coats of Zep. That was 3 years ago. Last year I noticed the Zep was peeling of in little spots! I couldn’t re-coat with Zep due to the uneven nature of Zep pealing off. Long story short had to apply Barkeepers Friend Again over my whole rig to strip off the Zep! I now apply a good formula wax. Will never use Zep again! Others have used it with much success but I’m now concerned about Zeps longevity! Thoughts anyone?

I had a similar issue with some peeling Zep and I used the Zep stripper.  It works amazingly well at removing the Zep wax.  It dissolves it quickly and easily and then you rinse it off.  I was very pleased with how fast and effective the stripper is.  It left the gel coat surface ready for re-waxing with no need for the BKF.  I supposed I could have touched it up with BKF, but the surface looked really clean and even with just the stripper.   Then I re-waxed with thinner more even coats and it looks better and is holding up better than the first time I applied the wax (which I put on too thick on each coat).

It seems on rare occasion the Zep can have issues.  I have paid attention and think most of the failures are due to poor prep work.  Many insist on using TSP to wash.  TSP  can easily leave a residue.  I would not use TSP on the outside of my Toy for any reason, and if someone did would require diligent multi rinsing.  

Some say sitting if full sun deteriorates it,  but it is used on boats in Florida with little issue. Some insist a weak solution of TSP can be used, not on my toy!

Trisodium phosphate, or TSP, is a cleaning product composed of soda ash and phosphoric acid commonly used to remove difficult stains and rust. You shouldn't clean glass with TSP, however. It can etch the glass or leave a stain behind, which makes the glass looking cloudy or white-colored

Others appear to do everything right and still have a problem, but like I said is rare and I see no reason for it.

On 4/20/2019 at 2:43 PM, markwilliam1 said:

Unfortunately I worked my butt off cleaning Grannie with Barkeepers Friend! Took Days. I made sure all residue was completely removed and applied 6 coats of Zep. That was 3 years ago. Last year I noticed the Zep was peeling of in little spots! I couldn’t re-coat with Zep due to the uneven nature of Zep pealing off. Long story short had to apply Barkeepers Friend Again over my whole rig to strip off the Zep! I now apply a good formula wax. Will never use Zep again! Others have used it with much success but I’m now concerned about Zeps longevity! Thoughts anyone?

Yar, that is a bunch of work.....I'm not sure I'm gonna use the Zep....I just want the grime/grease off, but the bar tenders stuff, it's not that good....and seems like a bunch of elbow grease is the main ingredient. I saw a youtube clip of a guy using a wool pad on a rotating tool, and he was getting oxidization off with it, and so thought about something like that......

I think the Zep has longer lasting results on the smooth fiberglass rigs like Sunrader. Mark I also think you used too many coats of it. Over waxing your floor can cause similar problems. As far as the Barkeepers friend not being good. I think it rocks. I use it on everything. Removes burnt black on stainless steel pots. Cleaned the plastic lawn chairs that I left in the yard all winter and had completely discolored and now they are bright and new looking. Only thing I ever use to clean my Sunrader. No it's not that hard. I'm an old lady and I can manage it just fine

Linda S

Hi Linda I read that 6 coats is Optimal for Zep. Grannie does have rougher fiberglass even though I scrubbed the a.. off her. The rig I saw that had the Zep applied and was 6 years old was a smooth fiberglass body! Perhaps that’s what the difference is? I totally agree Barkeepers Friend is the best! 

I'm not sure really what caused your peeling. Gets cold where you live, freezing and defrosting effect? The barkeepers Zep routine is a low cost alternative to Poly Glow and way less difficult to apply. It is not a wax though. It's an acrylic polish. If it's thick enough instead of a surface treatment it can become an entity in itself. A flexible film that can and does peel. I keep thinking of nail polish. It does the same when applied to thickly. Or 80's Dodge cars. They put in and additive to make it easier to paint at factory that unfortunately  made it easier to remove later. My kids had a blast peeling the paint off that car

Linda S

I was So disappointed in the Zep! The weather might affect this Linda. My rig looked fabulous for 2 years though Lol! The Zep did make the faded graphics on Grannie look great for awhile. So I think I found a solution to my faded graphics. WD40! The graphics on Grannie are sprayed on paint not vinyl. I spray WD40 on a cloth and wipe a thin coat on the graphics with it. It restores the color immediately! I know this isn’t permanent but So easy to apply. Doesn’t wash off in the rain. Easy to touch up! I think the paint absorbs the WD40. Interesting, most of the Toyota RVs I’ve seen have vinyl graphics. Don’t think the WD40 would work as well on vinyl or last very long. 

• 4 months later...