Sunny the '78 Sunrader

Sunny78

2 hours ago, Derek up North said:

I could see this as being a problem for many. I'm 6'-2".

I think because my old rig has an especially small cab it’s pretty close. I’m sure similar seats would be fine for all later toyhomes no matter your height.
The bucket seats that I purchased my rig with just felt like they were sitting on the ground, it’s much nicer to be higher up. I believe my ‘78 came with a bench seat so those weren’t original either. 

• 1 month later...

Speaking of the famous amount 1 offs and weirdness that Sunrader has done... I am currently ripping out the ceiling in my rig and have came across something I didn’t expect to. It seems that the ceiling insulation is original (although the vinyl glued to the ceiling was newer) and it is fiberglassed to the roof shell in many places, which is making it a p.i.t.a. to tear out.

I am wondering if this is normal for the earlier Sunraders like mine, and if I should know anything about the structural support of this foam board glassed to the roof before I go cutting it out. 

My plan is to update the ceiling similar to the newer sunraders I’ve seen remodeled with furring strips for bracing side to side, a frame to support a new roof fan, and wood paneling instead of the glued-on vinyl.

What do you guys think?

I would be willing to bet strength was the sole reason. With the larger windows up front and your side windows so close to the roof, on the road without that support the roof probably flexes up and down like a trampoline. 

Linda S

Yeah that’s what I expected. Ive got the ceiling over the bed torn out almost all the way out and it is definitely trampoline-like. I will be adding plenty of bracing in that area especially.

I once saw a post of someone doing this job that used curved metal tubing that was fully custom and seemed very strong. Anyone got that link?

Hey man,

The horn is located behind the driver’s side headlights. It’s a bit of a mission to get to from the top, but if you look up underneath you’ll see it. Should be blue wires and a little plug into a silver saucer. You’ll be able to get to it without removing much. 

• 3 weeks later...

So... we have an update!

We were a little stressed about the extent of the project, but we knew at some point Sunny would need to be completely torn down once again in order to get rid of EVERYTHING old out of her interior. Throughout the years, the inside of Sunny had been updated randomly here and there, including the quite extensive remodel we did last year, which has been deemed Remodel #1. Never having been fully replaced were a sagging floor, ceiling material, and the old Dometic glassed-in fridge. We knew tending to these issues would be a serious project, as many things needed to be removed before they could be dealt with.

After a couple really gnarly storms living up near Donner Summit last winter, we had one of our front wrap-around plexi windows blow out of its frame. At first, we hoped to fix it with a new seal, but that wasn't the case. We took this opportunity to do some research, and have decided to fully fiberglass in the front of the camper. Due to the lack of air flow that glassing in the entirety of the overcab would create, we have decided to install new small windows on either side of the bed very similar to what the later sunrader models have. Additionally, throughout the winter we realized both of the large side windows were getting leaky and we were going to have to take them out again, so the decision was made to replace those too. We are even going to be switching up the layout a bit, and adding to storage and counter space. So yeah, there is a lot to do!

I know it seems like we've gone back to square one, but our new mantra is "Do It Right" so this time we are cutting no corners. Also, we have already accumulated many of the appliances, wiring, solar, batteries, water tanks, lp tank, etc. that will be reused in Remodel #2!

I also have a couple surprises planned so stay tuned for more to come ;)

-Sunny78

IMG_0093.jpg

IMG_0096.jpg

IMG_0097.jpg

IMG_0098.jpg

IMG_0099.jpg

IMG_0100.jpg

Side note:

I have the two original side windows up for grabs to anyone who wants them. They are 48” x 22”, there are no screens, and one pane in one window has been replaced with plexi glass (hard to tell unless you touch it). They do include interior trim rings although they are a little beat up. They should seal back up no problem with some new butyl. Not sure what a fair price would be so shoot me an offer. I can’t really ship them, so pick up would be best.

-Graham

581C7789-7578-40D0-BEC1-879C45E88618.jpeg

CE4371F9-3BEA-49AB-BD63-2E594A8B49A9.jpeg

Yeah, they were not cheap. I ended up finding them at an RV surplus store on eBay.

Does anyone have the dimensions of the smaller side bed windows? I am trying to get as close to factory look as possible.

Edited by Sunny78

On 4/3/2019 at 11:31 PM, fzj80joe said:

I literally just pulled my Sunrader also referred to as "Sunny" off the Toyota chassis. And now my full floating 1 ton dually axle is for sale! I'm a little north of you in Bend Oregon 

https://bend.craigslist.org/pts/d/redmond-toyota-6-lug-full-float-dually/6857624889.html

If you haven't already seen this unfortunate event I will link that as well. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCoTfAt2R9w&t=18s

Not trying to scare monger you into buying my axle. But I personally think you might be heading in the wrong direction with single tiny wheels...

Drive your camper up to Bend and we will change the axle in the driveway!

That youtube video infuriates me. Get the work done before you pick out a cute name for your rig IMHO.

2 different events far apart. The youtube video is what happens when you rely on a mechanic you don't know well enough. They didn't have a bad axle. They had a Front Range full float conversion which gives you a very solid rear full float conversion. The rear wheel fell off for the simple reason that it wasn't torqued down properly. Yup ya got to tighten the nuts. How complicated is that. 

Linda S

6 minutes ago, linda s said:

2 different events far apart. The youtube video is what happens when you rely on a mechanic you don't know well enough. They didn't have a bad axle. They had a Front Range full float conversion which gives you a very solid rear full float conversion. The rear wheel fell off for the simple reason that it wasn't torqued down properly. Yup ya got to tighten the nuts. How complicated is that. 

Linda S

Linda, you are always the best.