In The Market And Would Love Some Advice Please

davidstephchap

Hi guys...

I'm David and am in the market for a Dolphin.  Unfortunately, up here in Portland, OR, they hold there value like crazy, which is a good thing for a seller and a bad thing for me lol, the buyer.  My girl and I stumbled across an '88 with 56k on the odometer at a small dealer out here.  The inside has been completely redone, not the best job, but not the worst either.  Clean we'll say.  All cushions redone.  New reefer.  An Onan 2.6 microlite with 70 hours on it.  Roof got redone already as the cab over had some water damage, as all RV's do.  New batteries in engine and for shore.  Engine was clean.  Didn't look like it was detailed either actually.  Didn't see any oil blowing at all.  Underside was ok but didn't look to hard either.  Outside was repainted by original owner and did find out that the original owner used this RV place for service, so they know everything about the rig. 

Now the bad part, the price lol.  I can more than likely get out the door at $12,500, which I know is way too much, and the price is actually higher than that, but had a "feel out" convo with the dealer today.  I know how long it's been on the lot as well.  The others I have been looking at have been around $7k needing a ton of work.  This sucker is road ready from what I can tell.  I can more than likely work in an extended warranty as well.  The engine looks super easy to work on as well.  I'm relatively mechanical and pretty good at engines.

I haven't taken it out yet for a drive, which is next, but wanted to know what all thought.  I have never owned an actual RV before, and only trailers and tent camping.  My goal eventually, when I retire in 15 or so years, is to do this half time.  For now, this would allow me to travel to Boston to see my family and head back down to Oceanside, CA, where I lived for 18 years, and get some surf and some fun it.

Guys, am I crazy to even think on this, or is it worth it?  I know there will be money that I will have to sink in, and hopefully not a lot, but I dig the rig.

What should I look for?  What are the commons?  The roof is done.

Let me know if you would and thank you...  I'm hoping to hear some positives here...

Respectfully,

David

From Portland to Coos Bay is around the block in the realm of Toyota motorhome shopping. It's closer to your price, it looks to be extremely nice condition and like I said the V6 models ride much smoother and more power to get over mountains. Have you driven a 4 banger? Some people are shocked by the lack of power. Of course the V6 has it's issues too. I still don't trust all the repairs made on the other one. Seems excessive. 

Linda S

Just luckily stumbled across a non listed 1990 Fiberglass Toyota Odyssey Americana with 91k.  Has the V6 as well.  Owned by a little old lady and husband who are just to old to take it out anymore.  They were the original owners.  I plan on taking a look at it tomorrow and the gentleman said he was going to post it for $14,500, which certainly is in my range.

Thoughts?

Respectfully,

David

44 minutes ago, davidstephchap said:

Just luckily stumbled across a non listed 1990 Fiberglass Toyota Odyssey Americana with 91k.  Has the V6 as well.  Owned by a little old lady and husband who are just to old to take it out anymore.  They were the original owners.  I plan on taking a look at it tomorrow and the gentleman said he was going to post it for $14,500, which certainly is in my range.

Thoughts?

Respectfully,

David

The fiberglass is nice, less chance of water rot. It all comes down to the vehicles condition which can only be determined once you are standing beside it. The price sounds a bit high unless it is in MINT condition in my opinion.  

That's what the prices have been Anthony, and thank you for the advice.  All Dolphins here are above 7k with tons of work needed.  I'm gonna go check her out tomorrow and see whats what. 

Respectfully,

David

We have a 91 odyssey ponderosa with rear dinette.  Americana odysseys are very nice;. Still could have water damage around windows, vents, lights, under overhead mats, etc.  Stored inside?  Price seems high for 91 k, unless in super condition with no leaks and everything works.  Check date code on the tires as about 800 to replace.

I will for sure check the windows for water damage, and all of the interior.  The dealer was very forthcoming and talked alot about it.  The dealer here specialized in weirder RV, mainly Toyota brand.  He disclosed that a vent was leaking and that has been replaced, as well as the cracked windshield it had.  The dealer also sent it out to there RV mechanics for a full "once over" and all was sound.  No generator but that's the only difference between that and the dolphin I was looking at, although, this looks way nicer from the pix I have seen.

20190323_172655.jpg

20190323_171948.jpg

11 hours ago, davidstephchap said:

I will for sure check the windows for water damage, and all of the interior.  The dealer was very forthcoming and talked alot about it.  The dealer here specialized in weirder RV, mainly Toyota brand.  He disclosed that a vent was leaking and that has been replaced, as well as the cracked windshield it had.  The dealer also sent it out to there RV mechanics for a full "once over" and all was sound.  No generator but that's the only difference between that and the dolphin I was looking at, although, this looks way nicer from the pix I have seen.

20190323_172655.jpg

20190323_171948.jpg

Here's the description, as posted on FB:-

" Going to be listing my Americana for sale quite soon. 91k miles. v6. Head gasket recall taken care of at Toyota dealer at 55k miles, back in 2007 ( have paperwork for this). L Couch rear bath layout. Had everything just inspected by Fred's RV a few weeks ago.They gave it a clean bill of health, everything works, no leaks, no water damage. (Have receipt for this). West Coast all it's life, purchased new in CA. Located near Portland OR. Asking price 14.5k obo. Contact me for any more info, photos, etc. Will be listing it up on Craigslist soonish, but wanted to give you guys a head start. "

Congrats, pics look great.  Odysseys are also the largest toys in width and height.

Make sure the tires are ok date wise;

Just ordered 6 new hankooks, 8 play, 65 psi max.

Would still change all the fluids, Toyota red antifreeze, diff. Fluid, brake fluid, etc

Check out the threads on the t100 or 4runner cluster swap if you want a tripmeter, tach, voltmeter, oil pressure guage. It's a direct swap..

HEY THERE, looks like you got a real gem. hope the pics are consistent with the overall condition of your rig. welcome to toya world. have many safe and amazing journeys. joe from dover.

12 hours ago, odysseybernard said:

Odysseys are also the largest toys in width and height.

I wish I had the opportunity to have an 'regular' Odyssey and an Americana side by side to measure. Odysseys are touted as being 'biggest' but the Americana is supposed to be 4" lower than the 'regular', so I can't figure out how they managed that without losing some of the 6'-3" headroom? Can't make something smaller on the outside without making it smaller on the inside, unless you make the ceiling or floor thinner!

pg. 4 inside height.jpg

• 1 year later...