1 minute ago, linda s said:

Tacoma doesn't have any full floaters. I think it should fit but not sure if the driveshaft pinion flange is a match. if your going to a Tacoma axle you could also use Tacoma wheels which are 15 inches. That's why I post the second tire. Still only 27 inches in diameter like Fred said. By the way maybe you should try calling these places. Around 200 miles from you but in the world of axle searching that's not far. These are for the correct Toyota full floater. As far as Derek not thinking there is a heavier axle you should know that Toyota's max weight rating for the 1 ton single wheel truck is exactly the same as the full floater in all years. 

Rolla Auto Salvage & Sales, Inc. USA-MO(Rolla) Request_Quote 800-445-0254 / 573-364-4414 Request_Insurance_Quote
Live Chat
Rear Axle Assembly
Toyota Truck
COMPARE 246,000 C 16P388 $700 Roz Auto Salvage USA-WI(Milwaukee) Request_Quote 1-800-281-2479 Request_Insurance_Quote
Live Chat

I’ve spent hours calling even contacted someone in Ohio (I’m in Iowa) I have no problem with - few hundred miles..

thanks 

5 minutes ago, linda s said:

Tacoma doesn't have any full floaters. I think it should fit but not sure if the driveshaft pinion flange is a match. if your going to a Tacoma axle you could also use Tacoma wheels which are 15 inches. That's why I post the second tire. Still only 27 inches in diameter like Fred said. By the way maybe you should try calling these places. Around 200 miles from you but in the world of axle searching that's not far. These are for the correct Toyota full floater. As far as Derek not thinking there is a heavier axle you should know that Toyota's max weight rating for the 1 ton single wheel truck is exactly the same as the full floater in all years. 

Rolla Auto Salvage & Sales, Inc. USA-MO(Rolla) Request_Quote 800-445-0254 / 573-364-4414 Request_Insurance_Quote
Live Chat
Rear Axle Assembly
Toyota Truck
COMPARE 246,000 C 16P388 $700 Roz Auto Salvage USA-WI(Milwaukee) Request_Quote 1-800-281-2479 Request_Insurance_Quote
Live Chat

Ok, yes, Wisconsin is easy, Linda

Are my rims a match for this item above or am I going to change them and if so, to what size?

Be sure to measure your wheel wells front to back. My 27” number works for my mh. Not sure if all manufacturers have the same dimensions. I believe the 185’s are about 25 3/4” diameter.

Ok, I’m so happy to get all this advice, but I am just getting more confused as each post turns a corner into a different result and that’s likely me just being a noob, I’m not getting a clear understanding of the final solution...

the tacoma idea seems to be squashed by Linda because of rear diff and gearing

the axle in the link In Wisconsin looks good but the last post from Linda seems to say that now I need to go to ff true duallys 

can I get a final solution explained with slightly noobie phrasing?

im so sorry, thanks 

6 minutes ago, fred heath said:

Be sure to measure your wheel wells front to back. My 27” number works for my mh. Not sure if all manufacturers have the same dimensions. I believe the 185’s are about 25 3/4” diameter.

Ok will do as soon as I can, ty fred

30 minutes ago, Boondockit said:

Ok, I’m so happy to get all this advice, but I am just getting more confused as each post turns a corner into a different result and that’s likely me just being a noob, I’m not getting a clear understanding of the final solution...

the tacoma idea seems to be squashed by Linda because of rear diff and gearing

the axle in the link In Wisconsin looks good but the last post from Linda seems to say that now I need to go to ff true duallys 

can I get a final solution explained with slightly noobie phrasing?

im so sorry, thanks 

Based on the picture of your rig I’d go with duellys. I think singles would be a stretch. Good luck. Fred

Just now, fred heath said:

Based on the picture of your rig I’d go with duellys. I think singles would be a stretch. Good luck. Fred

Ok, that’s my start, so if duallys then obviously true ff axle

how hard is that going to be? How rare?

if possible, what axles will work? (Year and model if possible) (6 bolts right?) (one ton?) 

any and all particulars and absolutes will be very helpful in my search, I am VERY grateful for everyone and I know nobody owes me answers, I am just at the end of the line where I will have to sell this for much less than I paid because I will be morally obligated to disclose the axle danger (which I would have wanted the chance to know before I bought it)...

2 minutes ago, Boondockit said:

Ok, that’s my start, so if duallys then obviously true ff axle

how hard is that going to be? How rare?

if possible, what axles will work? (Year and model if possible) (6 bolts right?) (one ton?) 

any and all particulars and absolutes will be very helpful in my search, I am VERY grateful for everyone and I know nobody owes me answers, I am just at the end of the line where I will have to sell this for much less than I paid because I will be morally obligated to disclose the axle danger (which I would have wanted the chance to know before I bought it)...

Linda is great for finding parts. She’s very knowledgeable about these old Toys. Plan to spend about 2K for the swap (conservative estimate). You’re much more honorable then the prior seller. Although in his/her defense, they may have been unaware of the axle issue. 

19 minutes ago, fred heath said:

Linda is great for finding parts. She’s very knowledgeable about these old Toys. Plan to spend about 2K for the swap (conservative estimate). You’re much more honorable then the prior seller. Although in his/her defense, they may have been unaware of the axle issue. 

Yes, Linda S has given me a lot of hope, I’m currently scouring online and having almost no luck on a dually axle 

4 hours ago, Derek up North said:

6000lb GVWR 2.jpg

Yup I was wrong but not until 1989. Until then the 1 ton and the dually both had GVWR of 5500 lbs. In 1989 the dually models jumped to 6000 lbs but the 1 ton only went up to 5600 lbs. Weird isn't it and this is Toyota specs from a brochure. I can't copy and paste that page though. Toyota Reference requires a download

Linda S

• 7 months later...