I have the 5 bolt foolies in recalled axle on my 1983 Minicruiser and wondering if I can swap to this, pictures below:

8" 5-lug Rear Axle, 4.30 ratio, from 1-ton Pickup Truck, 5x114.3

From a 1986 Toyota 1-ton pickup. G28 code axle = 8" diff with 4.30 ratio. Comes complete, drum to drum with parking brake cables and brake lines. In perfect working condition. Has surface rust. Wheels not included. This axle uses the same internals and housing as the stronger 8" found on the 4x4's, but has the same 5x114.3 bolt pattern as the 2wd trucks. Great for a 2wd making big power or a v8/LS/350 swap.

CF423049-843A-4B92-B217-C08675BC2215.png

A65B34B5-3EA8-445A-9705-B1CF7C500D2C.png

EE088E51-A778-4358-AB1E-EBC23F3BDBBC.png

You probably already have an 8 inch axle. They were used on the heavy chassis even back in the 70's. Is your Minicruiser one of the tiny ones? If so you could save a bunch of money by just converting to single rear wheels. The dually wheels are the problem, not the axle.

Linda S

1 hour ago, linda s said:

You probably already have an 8 inch axle. They were used on the heavy chassis even back in the 70's. Is your Minicruiser one of the tiny ones? If so you could save a bunch of money by just converting to single rear wheels. The dually wheels are the problem, not the axle.

Linda S

Hi, this was my original issue on another post Linda, YES! I just want to go to singles but I am told that I MUST go to a “wider” tire and rim and that my wheels won’t take anything wider and that I would have to have them custom made, I don’t know that I believe this person so, please help if you can with your experience...

Can I easily measure the existing axle and know if it’s the 8 inch by measuring the girth of it? I know it is 5 bolt and that the duallys are bolted together, if I took a pic of the actual axle could you tell...this is keeping me up at night as I recently spent a lot for new brakes...thanks 

15 minutes ago, Boondockit said:

Hi, this was my original issue on another post Linda, YES! I just want to go to singles but I am told that I MUST go to a “wider” tire and rim and that my wheels won’t take anything wider and that I would have to have them custom made, I don’t know that I believe this person so, please help if you can with your experience...

Can I easily measure the existing axle and know if it’s the 8 inch by measuring the girth of it? I know it is 5 bolt and that the duallys are bolted together, if I took a pic of the actual axle could you tell...this is keeping me up at night as I recently spent a lot for new brakes...thanks 

Linda, can I simply remove the existing outer tire? 

A0AFAABD-9BC1-438A-A869-926E5FB4A6ED.jpeg

54D3DB47-18F6-4345-9F23-145BF95FA9F6.jpeg

When people have weighed their 'homes and posted the results, typically 2/3 of the weight is on the rear axle. Assuming you're similar, that would be 3333lb or 1667lb per tire (with singles). A 185R14C 102/100 tire is rated for 1875lb and will fit on a standard Toyota pickup rim (5.5x14"). Your current tires (LT195/75R14 99/96) are rated for 1706lb. I've got to wonder the age of your current tires. I don't think BF Goodrich have offered that tire for a number of years.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=35

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=138

2 minutes ago, Derek up North said:

When people have weighed their 'homes and posted the results, typically 2/3 of the weight is on the rear axle. Assuming you're similar, that would be 3333lb or 1667lb per tire (with singles). A 185R14C 102/100 tire is rated for 1875lb and will fit on a standard Toyota pickup rim (5.5x14"). Your current tires (LT195/70R14 99/96) are rated for 1706lb. I've got to wonder the age of your current tires. I don't think BF Goodrich have offered that tire for a number of years.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=35

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=138

Thanks, so Derek, my whole sticky point in this is that a pretty good tire guy upon looking at this said I could not go to single tires unless I had a wider rim to allow for a wider tire

Are you saying that I could ditch all 4 of the rear tires and buy 2 tires that fit my existing rim as long as they are rated for the weight and at least 8 ply? 

I think your tire guy is more concerned with your center of gravity. By removing the outside rim you’ve effectively shortened your rear track by 10-12 inches. On a vehicle with a low center it would work. But if your vehicle is “tall” it could get a little dicey going around things like on-ramps etc. 

To put it in perspective, imagine your mh is just a standard Toyota pickup with bed. Now stack that bed with enough hay bales to reach the height of your coach roof from the ground. The weight will obviously be less, but you’ll get the idea. 

Edited by fred heath

2 minutes ago, fred heath said:

I think your tire guy is more concerned with your center of gravity. By removing the outside rim you’ve effectively shortened your rear track by 10-12 inches. On a vehicle with a low center it would work. But if your vehicle is “tall” it could get a little dicey going around things like on-ramps etc. 

I think so, good catch, it is 9 feet tall or so, any solid thoughts on how I could go from “duallys” to singles? 

Just now, Derek up North said:

Well, it looks like you could easily remove the outers for a test drive.

These are 3 ply tires, from what I know I should at least go to 8 ply but my main concern is the advice to go to a wider tire which my rims won’t do and from what I told, no wider rims can be found that will fit...thanks 

4 minutes ago, Boondockit said:

I think so, good catch, it is 9 feet tall or so, any solid thoughts on how I could go from “duallys” to singles? 

Only way would be to install a rear axle 10-12” wider than the foolie. Measure your track from o/s tire to o/s tire on the foolie. Find an axle that with singles installed will give you approximately the same track. 

Just now, fred heath said:

Only way would be to install a rear axle 10-12” wider than the foolie. Measure your track from o/s tire to o/s tire on the foolie. Find an axle that with singles installed will give you approximately the same track. 

That explanation makes sense, thanks Fred

Just now, Boondockit said:

I don’t suppose you know where to find one?

I have a thread on here about my conversion to a gm 14 bolt ff rear axle. It’s not a cheap conversion, but definitely “bullet proof”.

'8-ply' is old terminology that persists. Was replaced with the equivalent 'Load Range D'. The current/modern terminology used is 'Load Index'. Your current tires are clearly marked 'Load Range D' and also 'Load Index 99/96'.

I antiquity, 8-ply tires actually had 8 plies. With technological advances, they were able to reduce the actual number of plies while maintaining the same strength. You won't find a modern '8 ply' tire anywhere that actually has 8 plies.

Radial_Tire_Structure-EDIT-e148458937335

" A modern tire with a 10-ply rating doesn’t necessarily have 10 actual plies in it. This goes back to the days when tires were made of cotton. Back then, the ply rating referred to how many layers of cotton had been used in the tire’s construction."

https://info.kaltire.com/ply-rating-or-load-range-what-to-look-for-when-choosing-tires-for-hauling/

11 minutes ago, Derek up North said:

Probably more than installing a Toyota FF axle.

Definitely. And looking at the mh I think singles would be at their max load rate. Remember, you’re pretty much locked in with 27” max tire diameter and still clear the wheel wells and bump stops. 

10 minutes ago, fred heath said:

Definitely. And looking at the mh I think singles would be at their max load rate. Remember, you’re pretty much locked in with 27” max tire diameter and still clear the wheel wells and bump stops. 

Yes, how do I get out of this mess?

1. I can’t have duallys unless I find an impossible to find true ff dually axle (thanks Derek for your link but it’s too far and they said someone is already coming) 

2. i cant use singles for reasons just explained by you all even if I found a longer axle 

3. I can’t use the existing axle because it’s recalled AND has foolies making it worse 

4. Can someone please answer this: is there a way to measure and KNOW if my current axle is the beefier capable one? I know the 5 bolts is a telling indicator but as Linda s says; there is an 8” one that might be installed that might be strong enough, if this is true do I measure the girth of my existing  axle?

what would you experienced people do in my position? 

Thank you!!

Edited by Boondockit

15 minutes ago, fred heath said:

So these tires would be fine with way more load range that a 185r14

https://simpletire.com/maxxis-205-r14c-tl12458000-tires

If you would be interested in using a Tacoma axle and wheels they are 6 inches wider than yours and then you could upgrade front and back to 15 inch tires  like these

https://simpletire.com/maxxis-215-70r15c-tl15800000-tires?stmodel=ue-168-nbravo-series&stcategory=other&sttype=light-truck&gclid=CjwKCAjwp_zkBRBBEiwAndwD9ZNq2cXjG97UlCEVPO4zIn-eok9rj09s2QqhhVc5dmrjmLxM-JXs-xoCpz8QAvD_BwE

Linda S

And yes the rim width range for the 14 inch tire is 5 to 7 which means they will fit on your rims

2 minutes ago, linda s said:

So these tires would be fine with way more load range that a 185r14

https://simpletire.com/maxxis-205-r14c-tl12458000-tires

If you would be interested in using a Tacoma axle they are 6 inches wider than yours and then you could upgrade front and back to 15 inch tires  like these

https://simpletire.com/maxxis-215-70r15c-tl15800000-tires?stmodel=ue-168-nbravo-series&stcategory=other&sttype=light-truck&gclid=CjwKCAjwp_zkBRBBEiwAndwD9ZNq2cXjG97UlCEVPO4zIn-eok9rj09s2QqhhVc5dmrjmLxM-JXs-xoCpz8QAvD_BwE

Linda S

And yes the rim width range for the 14 inch tire is 5 to 7 which means they will fit on your rims

Ok, stay with me here L, this gives me hope, 

are you saying find a Tacoma Axle, install it using my existing rims and get 4 tires total per your link? (2 in front, 2 in back)?

If yes, what year Taxoma axle will fit my MH and rims? What particulars do I need to worry about? (Do they need to be FF)?

thanks 

14 minutes ago, Boondockit said:

4. Can someone please answer this: is there a way to measure and KNOW if my current axle is the beefier capable one? I know the 5 bolts is a telling indicator but as Linda s says; there is an 8” one that might be installed that might be strong enough, if this is true do I measure the girth of my existing  axle.

As far as I'm concerned, there does not exist 'the beefier capable' axle with 5 lugs'. Believe me, I've spent waaaay too many hours looking for any sign of proof.

Just now, Derek up North said:

As far as I'm concerned, there does not exist 'the beefier capable' axle with 5 lugs'. Believe me, I've spent waaaay too many hours looking for any sign of proof.

Very helpful, thanks Derek, I can let that go 

Tacoma doesn't have any full floaters. I think it should fit but not sure if the driveshaft pinion flange is a match. if your going to a Tacoma axle you could also use Tacoma wheels which are 15 inches. That's why I post the second tire. Still only 27 inches in diameter like Fred said. By the way maybe you should try calling these places. Around 200 miles from you but in the world of axle searching that's not far. These are for the correct Toyota full floater. As far as Derek not thinking there is a heavier axle you should know that Toyota's max weight rating for the 1 ton single wheel truck is exactly the same as the full floater in all years. 

Rolla Auto Salvage & Sales, Inc. USA-MO(Rolla) Request_Quote 800-445-0254 / 573-364-4414 Request_Insurance_Quote
Live Chat
Rear Axle Assembly
Toyota Truck
COMPARE 246,000 C 16P388 $700 Roz Auto Salvage USA-WI(Milwaukee) Request_Quote 1-800-281-2479 Request_Insurance_Quote
Live Chat