Hi,

I have a 1983 Minicruiser with only 65,000 on it, really clean and mechanically perfect...

it has the recalled 5 bolt axel with the bonus fake duallys, as I understand it it is much safer, (if you are going to take your chances on the 1/2 ton recalled axel) to lose the foolies and go to singles on the back 

I went to a great heavy duty truck tire shop and the guy said that in order to swap out the foolies for singles that I need a wider footprint tire (8 or 10 ply) but my rims won’t work and that I couldn’t put a wider rim on the existing wheel unless I had one custom made which I’m not wanting to do

is there any way to get singles in place of these foolies? Is he correct that I HAVE to have wider rims installed? Can I not just buy wider rims?

Thanks 

C1D9689D-5FBB-4089-B3DB-3AE00F985E73.jpeg

7FDDAE80-377A-40C1-A44E-3C210A1883C0.jpeg

1C7C862A-CD76-432C-9DF2-4EB34867CC66.jpeg

Edited by Boondockit

43 minutes ago, Derek up North said:

Talked to the owner on messenger. It has 6 lugs. Sounds like a great deal. 

7 minutes ago, Derek up North said:

Just make absolutely certain that it's not a 6-lug 4x4 rear axle!

Same thought occurred to me. The carrier is more in line with the GO82 axle. I would ask to see a picture of the hubs before making a road trip. 

So these are true duallys? But still a 1/2 ton axle, won’t that still be a weak link for my 5000 pound Minicruiser? I thought the one ton is what is needed to avoid the “death axle” issue...

Well, I don't what the rest of things look like, but that's a 1-ton hub without an axle.

thanks, are these rear ends pretty interchangeable? This is the Toyota that it’s coming off of, mine is obviously a Toyota but an 83

D6C7A2B9-06A7-447E-AF56-FA6FCC28E6E9.jpeg

Edited by Boondockit

Possible problems

The u-joint drive flange, the distance between spring perches, shock mounts, e-brake cable.   

Toyota actually had 3 different "kits" for the RV manufacturers to install

7 minutes ago, Boondockit said:

Thanks, can I fabricate/weld and get around these things usually?

Yes.