Campers with pop-up Roof.

Bandit Jo

Okay People!   This may sound stupid, but i’m Working on the Bandit’s pop up roof.  I relieved it of a 90 lb. RV air conditioning unit.  That created a significant depression in the roof, but that is on the list to address soon.  Today’s big dilemma is HOW DO YOU CLOSE YOUR POP TOP ROOF AND HOW MANY PEOPLE DO YOU NEED?

The springs and turn buckles are tightened to pick the roof up to where the vinyl has minimal sag.  However, even with almost 200 lbs of pull on the interior handles,  I can’t budge it downward.

Im suspicious that perhaps the springs were swapped out with heavier ones to hold the AC unit, but they don’t quite even push the roof to full height, looking at the vinyl and mechanism tracks.   Perhaps the roof isn’t supposed to be pushed to full height?  And if you have a poptop, how many springs per mechanism?  Mine has top and bottom on all three mechanisms.

So to this forum I ask the above questions. 

Other question - if you replaced your pop up vinyl, what fabric did you choose?  How happy are you with it?   I’m familiar with canvases from VW westfalia’s, and the choices for those at present are German OEM canvas, other canvas, and Sunbrella.   

FBD9518C-3734-40A8-87B1-C5376D97C6D8.jpeg

591B1AC1-1021-432D-B989-8E07B4E76DDC.jpeg