New here! I grew up on a boat, loved it. Miss it, and after living in a house for 5 years, well let’s just say I started to get crazy. If I’m not moving, I feel trapt and uneasy about life. So I’ve decided to buy a 21’ Sunrader and head out in 6 months. 

Heres the thing, I have NO clue about RVs. So I don’t want get stuck on the side of the road and meet one of Manson’s groupies lol. I’m also a 25 year old Female. I’ve traveled to Vietnam, Thailand, Australia, The Virgin Islands and many other places by myself. So I’m not worried about travling alone (I own and know how to use a gun haha) so with that being said, I’m a sponge for information. 

Should I replace the whole engine? If so what kind? 

Should I just fix it? 

Before I buy it I’m taking it to get inspected.

Any other advice I would love!!

Thank you! 

26 minutes ago, Littleme said:

New here! I grew up on a boat, loved it. Miss it, and after living in a house for 5 years, well let’s just say I started to get crazy. If I’m not moving, I feel trapt and uneasy about life. So I’ve decided to buy a 21’ Sunrader and head out in 6 months. 

Heres the thing, I have NO clue about RVs. So I don’t want get stuck on the side of the road and meet one of Manson’s groupies lol. I’m also a 25 year old Female. I’ve traveled to Vietnam, Thailand, Australia, The Virgin Islands and many other places by myself. So I’m not worried about travling alone (I own and know how to use a gun haha) so with that being said, I’m a sponge for information. 

Should I replace the whole engine? If so what kind? 

Should I just fix it? 

Before I buy it I’m taking it to get inspected.

Any other advice I would love!!

Thank you! 

Pictures? Price? We need this info to even try to make a guess. 

How many miles on the old engine?? What's "wrong" with it?

6 minutes ago, WME said:

How many miles on the old engine?? What's "wrong" with it?

Don’t laugh, it only has 63,000 miles. That’s it. The owner says it works fine. But I’ve had mechanics tell me my car was fine when I’ve fixed it, and after 3 months is shat all over me. So should I just replace the old engine or should I fix the one I’m getting, once I figure out what’s wrong with it?

7 minutes ago, Littleme said:

Don’t laugh, it only has 63,000 miles. That’s it. The owner says it works fine. But I’ve had mechanics tell me my car was fine when I’ve fixed it, and after 3 months is shat all over me. So should I just replace the old engine or should I fix the one I’m getting, once I figure out what’s wrong with it?

No point in replacing an engine as a precaution.  If anything, have it thoroughly gone through by a trustworthy mechanic, as well as the rest of the vehicle.  Chances are a majority of the repairs the vehicle will need will be in systems other than the engine.  Low mileage on such an old vehicle means it did a lot of sitting.  Sitting rots rubbers and seals.  Leaks happen, brakes leak, fuel lines, radiator hoses, gaskets, seals, etc.  It may not show it now but after being started up and driven a good distance after a length of being stagnant is when everything will start to go.  

What you need to do is find a good guy mechanic. Do a full tuneup,,, spark plug, plug wires, dist cap, and rotor. Adjust the valves. Change coolant replace ALL the hoses and fan belts.  Change oil and use a good filter. Check brake pads, shocks, and the rear leaf spring bushings. Tires need to be less than 10 years old (7 is better).

Figure $600 to $2000 depending on what checks good. Like a set of tires is $600+

Edited by WME

There 2 things going on here. The truck is just a regular Toyota pickup, well it does have dual rear wheels, the engine, transmission stuff is normal Toyota pick up. The major difference is the brakes on the rear axle and the shocks.

Then there is the house, while it was built by many different companies, they use "standard" RV parts. Water heaters, stove/ovens, water pumps, refers, lights are all most universal.  In fact, most of the RV stuff is also Marine stuff too.

Edited by WME

• 2 months later...

Congratulations on your travels

Life is for adventures.

I have spent alot time on sailboats and enjoy traveling by water, as well as working on commercial vessels allows more travel while working.

I am new to the site but have owned toyotas over the years. They are very popular around the world for dependability and reliability. Where i have a home in Central America toyotas out sale all other makes of vehicles together. So you shouldnt worry youve made a great choice choosing toyota as the others have said having it checked out by a reliable mechanic and tuned up and replace belts and hoses replace all fluids have radiator pressure tested and have throughly check for leaks from any where on engine and transmission. Brakes check front and rear. Good tires that are properly rated for the weightload of camper. If you plan on driving a ways and keeping it a while a new set should help eliminate alot of worries and problems. 

I purchased a older 1986 4 runner with fuel injected 22r  4x4 years before mechanic went through it as described above purchased new bf goodrich all terrain tires. New Bilstien shocks and drove 3600 miles from Sandiego CA to south Texas into Mexico out of Mexico into Guatemala to the Caribbean side near Belize and Honduras. No issues. Maybe lucky but toyota dependability is worth putting out the cash, and care for it with regular maintenance and service.

I own a 1996 toyota 4 runner 3.4 liter V6 unlimited SR5 4x4 rear axle locker 1 owner well cared for bought 6 years ago with 330,000 miles a 1 owner vehicle it has now 357,000 miles burns no oil. And at 3000 mile oil changes oil comes out as clean as it goes in. Most mechanics dont believe me, but when they see the oil when its changed they believe. I have been told that the 3.4liter V6 toyota engines are 500,000 mile engines and i am going to see if its possible. This one will very likely drive to Guatemala next year from the MD area.

I have been considering a RV but toyota Sunraders have caught my eye i am here to see on this site to learn about them and their known issues and problems.

Most vehicles with new tires, springs and bilstein schocks will drive again like when they were new. More investment but more comfort in the ride in return.

Southeast Asia is beautiful i have spent 9 months working there on ships inbthe last 18 months. Phillipines is my favorite so far. They love foreigners there.

Happy trails and travels.