What is it?

Imajyn

My girlfriend and I about a year-and-a-half ago got this camper. the owner we bought it from claimed that he had just recently bought it and had no interest in keeping it and was just selling it. His claims and a VIN search both say 1985 Nissan 720 chassis. Now that I started looking for parts I'm starting to wonder if the camper back was from a different year and he just didn't know or didn't tell me. The back door is a full lift gate and I haven't seen one of those on any other camper on any of my Google searches. Hoping you guys can help me identify it.

It has duallys on the back, a heavy duty rear axle, 4 cylinder engine with 8 plugs, carbureted, 5 speed manual transmission, and a vin of JN6ND05H5EW001445.  We were told the camper shell was made by Gardner Pacific in Vallejo but a search of them says they're defunct after a tax evasion issue.

This restoration just got pushed into high speed since someone was nice enough to smash out my back window on St Patrick's Day.  Any information on availability of parts, similar models, manufacturer information, anything really would be amazing. Thank you for reading.

I'm not able to upload pictures for some reason (first time on the forum)

Toyota or Nissan NEVER MADE RVs. The different manufacturers bought a bare C&C (cab and chassis) and installed their version of a camper.

What you have is a Sunrader, they were made in Ca and IL. A glass shop should be able to replace the rear window if it was flat.  

I did know the camper backs were separate, but i don't know how to verify the manufacturer. I only have the previous seller's word that it was Gardner Pacific and to be honest, he was about as trustworthy as a hungry crocodile so I'm skeptical.  Thank you for the reassurance and advice on the window.

I'm also trying to track down the rear hatch which, I fear, is model specific, along with the window frames, weather stripping, and a few other interior parts I'm sure I can get after market.

I know... Needy. Sorry.  I appreciate anything you offer. Thank you

30 minutes ago, Imajyn said:

I did know the camper backs were separate, but i don't know how to verify the manufacturer. I only have the previous seller's word that it was Gardner Pacific and to be honest, he was about as trustworthy as a hungry crocodile so I'm skeptical.  Thank you for the reassurance and advice on the window.

I'm also trying to track down the rear hatch which, I fear, is model specific, along with the window frames, weather stripping, and a few other interior parts I'm sure I can get after market.

I know... Needy. Sorry.  I appreciate anything you offer. Thank you

Is the "full lift gate" you describe a door that folds up to open and is hinged at the top?

Just look up " Sunrader rear hatch" and you should be able to find plenty of images and some resources if you dig. also search up "Nissan Mirage motorhome" and see if that matches yours better. Sounds like it might. 

Truthfully I dont know much at all about the all fiberglass shell toymos/nissans, but there are plenty of folks around here who do. 

Yes, it covers the entire rear above the bumper and is hinged on top with mounts for, I assume, lift supports (although they've been missing since we got it) and a locking handle located center bottom.

1 hour ago, Imajyn said:

I think this should work. I posted pictures to imgur.

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/ZPTQsDu

So no pop top, interesting!  Any chance you have interior photos?  

Did you ever see the original design?  Was it designed around sitting all of the time?  

Wow talk about rare. About the best bet for the window is a boat shop that can deal with curved Lexan/plexiglass. You can dye plex in a large tub  using hot water and several boxes of rit dye

Some were from a dark demented mind I seem to remember that they built a few they called a limousine version, lots of seating, no popup, and not much camping stuff

What you have is a Sunchaser. Made by Sunrader as party  vans,  sometimes with extra seating, limo style. It might be the only one I've seen with the lift back. Not sure. Sunrader had no problem with special custom orders. I can't count the number of variations I've seen. Only one is not unusual.  Nice that it's on Nissan though. Got a true full floater there. 

Linda S