What to look at 78' Dolphin

x-wind

Hello! Just new on the forum, I'm going to look at a 78' Dolphin. It's got 95K miles. 

I feel I know what to look for with regards to the drivetrain. However, the cabin I'm not sure what to inspect closely.  I understand it's wood framed. The owner has said it leaked at one point and two of the oak cross members got wet and twisted.  He resealed the roof... What's that suppose to look like?

I'm not sure what to ask specifically here. Any general advice would be appreciated. I'm use to old vehicles and do my own work- timing belts, suspension, brakes and some basic autobody etc.  I've got power tools and had the patience to frame then hang a door recently in the house.. It did take me three days to get it right tho....

He's asking 5K and we're up in Canada. I'll be looking closely at the undercarriage to make sure it's not rotten anywhere. 

Appreciate any and all advice!

48 minutes ago, x-wind said:

Hello! Just new on the forum, I'm going to look at a 78' Dolphin. It's got 95K miles. 

I feel I know what to look for with regards to the drivetrain. However, the cabin I'm not sure what to inspect closely.  I understand it's wood framed. The owner has said it leaked at one point and two of the oak cross members got wet and twisted.  He resealed the roof... What's that suppose to look like?

I'm not sure what to ask specifically here. Any general advice would be appreciated. I'm use to old vehicles and do my own work- timing belts, suspension, brakes and some basic autobody etc.  I've got power tools and had the patience to frame then hang a door recently in the house.. It did take me three days to get it right tho....

He's asking 5K and we're up in Canada. I'll be looking closely at the undercarriage to make sure it's not rotten anywhere. 

Appreciate any and all advice!

Pictures would help. Check the rear axle. If you have duel rear wheels and only 5 lug nuts the axle is not safe.$ 2-4K US dollars to upgrade. 

The idea I've right now is to take down the ceiling and replace wood crossmembers that are twisted from water damage. I like the original look and though I'd truly find old style wall paper to put on the walls.  Not sure what the floor looks like yet but maybe replace with cork.

• 2 weeks later...

Went and saw the unit finally. It's a solid and straight truck which is running right.  95K oringal miles and not 195K Im sure. The cabin is bad though. The water leaked from one place and the fella painted everything white which was a terrible move. 

He sealed up the roof good I guess but its got some sags where the water came in the one spot. Can I get those original oak cross members or rafters?  Roof replacement might be the way to go I suppose. Read some things on that now.   Everything works well. It hasn't been molested except for the painting. 

HI THERE, FROM MY EXPERIENCE WITH A TOTAL ROOF REPLACEMENT ON MY 92 WINNIE, WORK DONE BY AN RV SHOP WAS CLOSE TO 5K. THEY TORE ENTIRE ROOF OFF AND REPLACED WITH RUBBER MEMBRANE, ALSO REQUIRED NEW INTERIOR CEILING. IT IS A VERY LABOR INTENSIVE JOB. JUST A HEADS UP. HOPE ALL GOES WELL WITH YOUR RIG. JOE FROM DOVER.

Thanks Joe appreciate the insight.  I called around and that is the same price I'm hearing roughly.

I found a aircraftsheet metal mechanic who's done side project for many years on RVs, just does structural work.   He said he will look it over and give me a quote to put thicker aluminum (to handle Alberta hail) on it. I'm optimistic it'll be cheaper then the RV places and just a good quality.

Does anyone know if the wood paneling is glued onto the walls or just nailed? The fella painted it white and I'd like to redo that down the road.