Looking at a 1974 Toyota Hilux Chinook

Thunderdonkey

Hey all,

I've been spitballing ideas for campers/trailers with the girlfriend for a little over a year now, and just had an absolutely stellar 1974 Toyota Hilux Chinook.  Total survivor - all original equipment and interior paneling, cold AC (R12), and a 20R that sounds like a damn sewing machine (and seemingly fires up in less than 1 full crank revolution):

They've redone the cushions in curtains with era-appropriate yellow/brown/orange fabric that matches the paint perfectly, and installed new shag carpet.  Exterior paint seems to have been redone at some point but is in great shape.  Shifter is a little loose, but to be expected at that age.  Odometer reflects either 72k or 172k (based on the condition and the owner's word, I'm inclined to believe the former).  Frame shows notable surface rust, but absolutely no visible evidence of scaling from what I could see.  The pop-up canvas appears to be in remarkable condition as well.  AC unit is 110v and pretty much brand new.  Stove and refrigerator were removed (owner had CO concerns), but he has both and would happily provide them.

Seller is asking $7,500 (including a reasonably-new Duracell generator), which generally seems steep - the rest of the US market for comparable examples seems to be ~$4,000.

I know nothing of these things, but have looked at and helped work on a few old trailers and RVs over the years and can safely say that this is in shockingly good condition.

What do you guys think?  Seem like a decent deal?

Thanks in advance!

IMG-0326.JPG

IMG-0328.JPG

IMG-0332.JPG

IMG-0333.JPG

That’s a lot of money for a 1974. The A/C is a cheap unit fitted into what should be a glass window panel. The body looks pretty straight. Check the clutch and brake pedal pads. If it’s 72K they should be looking good. If they show a lot of wear it’s more likely 172K. Your 4K price is more in line with what it’s worth. 

Did you have a chance to drive it around? Was there any rust? I would be concerned that the new carpet is because it was effected by hurricane Harvey.