Hey all,

The person I purchased my Sunrader from lied or had no idea what they where talking about. They Told me that it had sat for two years, with fuel stabilizer in it and that it would need a new battery.  When we got it we put the battery in it, blah blah couldnt get it to start. Today was finally somewhat warm enough to pull the tank, and its SHOT! Rusty as all get out, fuel sender had a hole in it from rust. Pump is shot. So long story short. There is no way this thing only sat two years with fuel stabilizer. All this dosnt matter, but my question is and i remember seeing some threads earlier. If i am going to go down route of either cleaning the tank or just buying a new one, can I buy a slightly bigger one anywhere? I am two hours from where i work on it with my dad, i dont remember if there is room. I remember the threads said some had bigger ones, mine is a two wheel drive. Either way dont need long answers just can i toss a slightly bigger one in? If so where does one buy it? Thanks!

If they are still available, and I think they are, you can buy one at any Toyota dealer. I use that site to track down part numbers and check availability. There have been a number of reviews over the years about problems with them so I don't know how dependable they are. Some people swear by them and others hate them. I do think lots of online suppliers have the same problem. I do most of my shopping at eBay. That way my purchase is guaranteed or I get my money back. No new Toyota tanks there though. 

Linda S

For a genuine Toyota replacement, it's not logical to me that only 1 (or a few) dealers would have them available. Especially if they're a discontinued part.

There are only a few sources (manufacturers) of aftermarket tanks. Not little back alley operations. Here's one of them:-  https://www.spectrapremium.com/en

And another:- http://lilandglobal.com/

I strongly suspect they're both the same company/ownership. No idea if they're both the same quality gas tanks.

A 3rd possibility is Dorman:- https://www.dormanproducts.com/gsearch.aspx?year=1985&make=Toyota&model=Pickup&origin=YMM&parttype=Fuel%20Tank

Desperate move... OEM tank from a pull a part yard. Look for a truck with current plates

All though the frame is similar my 2011 Tacoma fuel tank is plastic, (polystyrene)  that would be a good replacement it holds 21 gallons if it would fit!