New Inverter install information

V6 Seabreeze 92

Hi Friends

My next project: Considering installing a new inverter in my MH and could use some advise. There is a factory generator and it works. I have tried to educate myself by reading materials and watching Utube but I would prefer listening to some experts who have Toyhomes.

* I want to install 2000 Watt Inverter to run a small MicroWave for heating up food, tea, coffee, power 19" TV with DVD player and some computer work, charge phone etc.

* I purchased a JUPITER 2000 W inverter from Harbour Frieght, for cheap $129, which is Modified Sine Wave. After I read an article I realized I need a PURE SINE WAVE inverter. I would not mind spending little more money for something that will last me few years. May be able to return this one.

I would love to hear comments and recommendations, please. Is Pure Sine Wave necessary ? 

* Plan to wire it with a 200 W fuse and #2 AWG cables under the dinnet seat which happens to be right near the house battery. This will be the shortest connection with the house battery. However microwave and coffee maker is on the other side of the Aisle. I need to resolve this tripping hazard.

I would also looking to add a second House battery but there is no room in the existing battery compartment.

* Any one can share sketches, wiring diagram, product cut sheets etc, etc etc will be appreciated.

Do you speak electron???

A small microwave will draw 80-100 amps from the battery. 2ga is right on the limit for 90 amps. Modified sine will normally run a modern microwave but at reduced power levelsSemi

There are inverters that have a built-in auto transfer switch. The switch will transfer 115v to your normal house wiring. So no tripping. If you are satisfied that your inverter will power your microwave properly. Then there are outboard ATS available.

I had my Toy set up with  2 ATS's, generator and inverter, Priority power was shore power, start the generator and it would auto transfer the load. No shore power, no generator, the start the inverter and power was auto transferred. So no matter what the power in was 115ac was sent to the house ac outlets. No schematics sorry. You need a little wiring creativity so that inverter does not power the converter when it's on

You say it has a factory generator but you also bought a portable gen set. Is there some reason for this. Exactly how much power do you think you need. Also generators make 110 power. No invertor needed to use it with standard home appliances. Sometimes the worst error you can make is to make things too complicated. 

Linda S

Yeah I don't get it if it's a factory install why is an inverter necessary? If it has a factory gen set there is some type of transfer system most often it was a 30 amp socket in the power cord storage area. In this way every outlet in the MH was powered by the generator when the power cord was plugged into the socket. Mine had such as system when I stored the power cord I plugged it into the socket so if was raining or I was lazy all I had to do was start the gen set this powered all the outlets and the converter for all the DC items like lights. To me starting the generator every so often is a lot cheaper and simpler than another battery (or two) an inverter, wiring, and instal costs.  

Thank you all for your insight. Interesting to hear No need for a Inverter. Here is what started it all: at the end of last year I took month and half, 3000 miles driving trip to Southern California and back to Oregon. There were times when I did not want to start the generator, because it is noisy. I am  concious of noice in the campgrounds.

When I returned I had conversations with my camping buddies who happen to have newer rigs. They bragged about inverter and having 110 available at all times. One of them even offered to help me install. But I value comments and advise from you all, so experienced in Toyhome issues. Seeked your advise. 

Electrical is the least I know. Therefore I have to make sure I am doing the right thing before I start and Have the right parts. I went searching for reading material and YouTube on understanding what's involved. And educate myself. I admit,  I did not know Sine Wave until I read articles and realized what I purchased may not be the right Inverter. So there we have it, and I asked for toyhome community advise. 

I want to do several long driving trips to parts of USA I have  ot seen. 

So now back to the Inverter issue. It will be a good addition to have 110 available when I cannot use the generator. I do not want to touch the existing wired system other than the house battery. Have the inverter wired so it is a separate 110 source. May be add another outlet or two somewhere coming from the inverter, where I can plug in Microwave and TV/DVD etc.

Once again, thank you all. Good Day !!

A small microwave is 750 watts translate that to battery current it becomes 1,750 watts or close to 180 amps. Can this be done? Nothing is impossible but it will not be for the faint of heart it's going to take some work. As WME said backfeeding the electrical will require a breaker for the converter to be installed otherwise it will try to charge the battery all the while taking current from it with diminishing returns. The best setup would be using the inverter like a generator without having to alter the existing electrical system but the converter must have a method of being turn off. You need to find someone that has been there before. 

OK we will do a KISS system.

The electronics in a microwave runs hotter with a Mod Sine inverter. It also has less energy to cook with. So it runs longer, builds more heat. 30% increase in failure rate. 

You will have around a 15- 20 min battery life with 1 battery. Mount the 2nd battery where you can, use a big cable to connect both batteries. What kind of converter charger do you have?

110v ac will "travel" easier than 12v dc, so mount the inverter as close as possible to the batteries and make the 110v ac line whatever length you need. The inverter will need cooling air so plan for air flow. Can you easily get to the microwave power cord?  

A 30amp ATS run around $60 if you want a little automation.