Wall paneling questions

ChrisW

1. I'd like to use permanent double sided tape (because I'm not willing to drill holes through the fiberglass) to mount a spice rack and a magnetic strip for knives, on our stove's backsplash (it's an early Gaucho, where the range is at the left rear corner of the truck, like this (not my photo):

beautiful-chinook-toyota-camper-5.jpeg

but I see people saying things like "there really isn't anything holding the wood paneling to the fiberglass."

1. How is the paneling attached? Was it glued across the entire backside of the panels, or only in certain places where the steel frame is?

2. If I use permanent double sided tape to attach those things, will the weight of the spices and knives, and all the tugging each time we remove each knife or each spice bottle (which will be held in by clips, not resting on a shelf), be likely to detach the paneling away from the wall? Or are they stuck on there pretty well?

3. When people have replaced wall panels, have they just glued them against whatever parts of the structure they come in contact with, or some other method? How do people seal the new panels to the window frames? And how do people get the new panels at the right depth so they sit flush behind the inner lip of the window frame? Or when glued to the outer shell, do they just end up right where they should be?

Any and all information is appreciated. 

Thanks in advance.

hi there, if you use a quality double sided adhesive tape, such as 3m products, you should have no problems. a smallish spice rack and a few knives is not enough weight to dislodge provided you use a good quality tape.  there is a magnetic tape with adhesive on the back side. i have a roll in my shop, it comes in various widths (mine is 2 inches), and the thickness is about 1/8 ". i suggest looking on line for the above mentioned tapes. hope this helps. joe from dover.

54 minutes ago, Derek up North said:

Magnetic knife holder? Can you imagine how your life would become more complicated if you were in an accident? Ducking a few spices, I could handle. Knives? Not so much! :)

Derek, the idea behind racks is to put the knives and spices there when parked, never during travel. 

Thank you for bringing it up, though, and I hope readers will be careful to never have anything unsecured in the cabin behind them!   

As for my other questions,  anyone got any ideas on these?

- How is the paneling attached? Was it glued across the entire backside of the panels, or only in certain places where the steel frame is?

- When people have replaced wall panels, have they just glued them against whatever parts of the structure they come in contact with, or some other method? How do people seal the new panels to the window frames? And how do people get the new panels at the right depth so they sit flush behind the inner lip of the window frame? Or when glued to the outer shell, do they just end up right where they should be?

TIA