'81 Sundrader - The Sadie Series, Episode 3

shandamac

First of all, you all are amazing! I've so enjoyed reading all the past posts and have learned so, so much about all sorts of things "Toy" related. So, while I sit here at the office, unable to concentrate on anything other than the little motorhome sitting in my driveway back at the house, I thought I might upload a few pics of where my projects stand. While the weather's been cool and dry, I've been focusing on the inside. (Being realistic, I knew I didn't have the time to rip out all the paneling and wavy veneer, [so many projects, so little time], so there's a spot or two that I'll patch around the windows and hide under some molding.) I call the paint color "old world apricot", and used a quasi tedious, ragging technique. When the cushions, carpet and curtains are in, it should really come together. I didn't strip the cushions, just fabreezed them real good and covered them with pretty upholstry fabric. A carpet remnant at Lowe's caught my eye; a shade of dark beige. It's pretty close to the ceiling liner color. Anything that was covered in orange shag will now be covered in beige shag...Oh....and for now, I've decided to keep the beigy, hint o'mint, crushed velvet covering the cab seats and door panels. Whouda thunk it? After I finish sealing the windows, I'll focus on the new dining seat backrests. The originals were screwed in and beyond salvaging. The new ones may be detachable and washable. (Still mulling that one over.)

Well, will get back to my real job.

In Hope,

shanda

post-1592-1211306126_thumb.jpg

post-1592-1211306144_thumb.jpg

post-1592-1211306261_thumb.jpg

post-1592-1211306285_thumb.jpg

post-1592-1211306326_thumb.jpg

post-1592-1211306892_thumb.jpg

post-1592-1211307610_thumb.jpg

(Being realistic, I knew I didn't have the time to rip out all the paneling and wavy veneer, [so many projects, so little time], so there's a spot or two that I'll patch around the windows and hide under some molding.)

awesome shanda keep working on it!

I just hope Episode 4 isnt called:

The Search for more Water Damage!

im just jealous cause mine needs serious paneling work...

good luck and keep us posted! :sorcerer:

JotS,

Episode 4 might be titled, "Prickly Pears Aint Got Nuthin' on Ol' Sadie", and might be more of a tutorial on the wrong way to go about scoochin' around on a plywood with fiberglass residue sub floor wearing shorts while you pull stubborn carpet staples and paint cabinets. (I think I'll have shards of glass working their way out of my shins for months to come.)

The paneling under the back sliding windows was pretty bad, so I did just rip that off, sprayed some expanda foam insulation stuff and put new paneling over that. The seat backs will cover that area. (I was impressed at how the foam sturdied up the area under the window. I made sure I only used a little, and kept it from expanding too near the window opening.) Over the very back window there is just a small bit of damage. That I can patch and a piece of trim will cover. (If I didn't already have 10 other projects in the works, I might have just gutted her and started over....and, I still might do that eventually, but for now, I can only give her a little tenderness and a loving home.

shanda

I love the fabric.... I always wondered why plaid was so in vogue with these older motor homes. Must be a guy thing I guess as no woman in her right mind would go for plaid anything.

The sponge/rag painting you did is the bomb. That looks sooooooo cool......

There is no end to the customizations you can do to one of these motor homes.

I love the fabric.... I always wondered why plaid was so in vogue with these older motor homes. Must be a guy thing I guess as no woman in her right mind would go for plaid anything.

Except for guys in kilts.

I've really been having fun with Sadie's update. Early in our marriage, my husband said (in regards to house decorating and landscaping in general), "I don't care what you do, as long as you're the one doing it." In my mind, that's free reign.

The beaded fringe and sequined bohemian boudoir drapes will be easily removed if he and his buddies decide to take her fishin'.