4x4 conversion

bluewebo

hi everyone im a rookie when it comes to chinook , but i need some suggestions,,if i buy a chinook camper for 1976 or 79  what would anyone recommend to convert it to a 4x4 cab ,   like to know what would be the easiest or perfect fit for the camper. especially installing the camper to the cab which toyota year would have the same fittings,,also i notice some use a 1980 toyota , but the horsepower not too strong  how would a 1986 toyota fit, can anyone advise me before i invest my money thank you. ERNIE

Edited by bluewebo
wrong year

This has been done multiple times and has been discussed even more if you search around google and the forum.  

It can be done many different ways, the deciding variable is your time to invest, finances to invest, and skill factor.  

6 minutes ago, Odyssey 4x4 said:

This has been done multiple times and has been discussed even more if you search around google and the forum.  

It can be done many different ways, the deciding variable is your time to invest, finances to invest, and skill factor.  

im looking for comfort and min speed of 75mph  dont want any rollovers and vibration or hard ride

The long bed trucks the Chinooks were put on had a wheelbase of 110 inches. My 1986 shorty Sunrader is on a long bed truck and has a wheelbase of 112 and a slightly larger cab so it's a very good fit. They had the same wheelbase for the long bed until 1991 though so you could go with a V6 model. BUT you don't want any vibration or hard ride? Were talking trucks here. Cadillac ride is not part of the equation and a somewhat stiff suspension is required for off road. 

The smoothest ride and really good off road handling. Plop it on a 2004 to 2011 Chevy Colorado standard cab. 110 inch wheelbase. That even sounds good to me.

Linda S

2 hours ago, bluewebo said:

thank linda for your knowledge, but the only off road for me will be on a beach, so you saying you have it on a 1986 toyota longbed? also what do you think of the 86 toyota hilux2200 ..the wheelbase is 112

What? My Sunrader is mounted on a 1986 Toyota long bed truck. That wheelbase is 112. Toyota hasn't called them a Hilux in this country since the 70's. They are just trucks here. Yes mine is a WT model meaning dual wheels in the back but you don't need that and there were never any 4x4's made with that platform. Just a regular truck should be easy to find but if your looking to go 75+ mph a V6 will serve you better. Redesign of the chassis in the newer ones make the drive slightly smoother too.

Linda S