Need a new Horizontal Propane Gas Tank - 4.5-4.9 gal.

I bought my '81 Dolphin last year.  EVERYTHING is working just fine however my no one will fill my propane tank (horizontal) because it's too old.  Is there a site, outlet, company that sells them without spending an arm and a leg.  The cheapest one I've found is over $300 ! ! ! !  I'll need to find one somewhere becuz I'm headed across country this summer and am "tuning up the rig" for the journey.  

I'm also interested in what people have done with their back end regarding leaf springs and how to lift the body up a bit.  It was "challenging to put chains on last weekend in the snow (I got caught by a storm but once I got the chains on with the help of a coat hanger to pull the inside edge of the chain set over the tire the rig had no problem climbing a couple back road hills - whew, I'm glad to say)

Any advise would be welcomed.  

Be Well ! 

17 minutes ago, jjrbus said:

There are two types of horizontal propane tanks.  SAE which is secured to the RV and DOT which looks like a propane grill tank on its side.  Which do you have?

I've got the DOT tank that I've been told is way old. It's housed in a compartment in the rear on the driver's side with a strap that I've put a lock on.  

I do not remember the details,  may need a new valve and recertification.   Do a search on this site I am sure there were several posts about it. Asking at RV places is usually the wrong approach. 

12 hours ago, KirkGray said:

I'm also interested in what people have done with their back end regarding leaf springs and how to lift the body up a bit.

Do you currently have air bags in the back? (Ride-Rite or similar).  If you don't have them then that's a good upgrade and gives you variable lift.  However, if your leaf springs are worn out or if you just want to get new leaf springs to give you some lift and not install air bags then you can get new springs.  I just installed a pair of Old Man Emu Leaf Springs (CS010R) and you will get abound 1.5" to 1.75" lift relative to stock in the rear.  Cost is ~$240 for two springs plus another $25 or so for bushings.  

Can measure your current height per the vehicle spec? (Should be about 9.25" measured from ground to bottom of frame where the frame is flat/horizontal near the rear wheel just before it arches up to bend over the axle).  If you are below spec then likely the springs are tired.

12 hours ago, KirkGray said:

I've got the DOT tank that I've been told is way old. It's housed in a compartment in the rear on the driver's side with a strap that I've put a lock on.  

The older horizontal tanks had a valve in the middle they I believe are no longer legal the newer ones the valve was up at the top. The ideal was to reduce the risk of liquid propane getting into the system.

• 2 weeks later...

providing the valve does not leak . you should be able to take the tank to a large propane service dealer . and get it recertived for 5 years . these older tanks are last I new of still exempt from opd  rules .  I have an 87 dolphin myself my tanks are even older mid 1970s picked them up used as I had none when I bought my r v .  and yes those are most often very high priced .

On 2/18/2019 at 5:06 AM, AtlantaCamper said:

Thank you for your reply.

For some reason the thread for more info about air bags didn't make it to your message.  Would you please try again?  I'd be very interested to read more about it.  

You may know also about the axle recalls for the '81 Toyota Dolphin.  I read the article that was a resource noted in this forum and went to the recall site and entered my vehicle.  It did NOT come up as a vehicle that was to have been recalled.  I've got a  5 lug dualie in the rear, not a 6 lug.  For the sake of information, I have a model 500 with the big rear window and the toilet/shower right behind the driver.  Would the weight, mid-vehicle make a difference regarding the stresses on the rear axle and therefore make it a vehicle that wasn't recalled?  Would you advise replacing the rear axle with a 1 ton, 6 lug axle?  I've got 55K original miles with everything working like a top.  If I were to switch the axle out to a 1 ton, would it still be necessary to put air bags on?  Thank you for your time and advise.  

There are NO 5 lug dual wheeled axles that weren't recalled. Period. We have been doing this for decades and your not the first person hoping for a miracle vehicle that wasn't included. Switching to a 1 ton axle if you can get the springs with it, which you should, might give you some lift if they are in good shape. 

http://www.arfc.org/rvs/national_rv/dolphin/recalls/000006150000057824000000195/recall.aspx

Linda S

8 hours ago, KirkGray said:

For some reason the thread for more info about air bags didn't make it to your message.  Would you please try again? 

Not sure why the link didn't work.  The Thread is titled "Air Spring (Bag) Info - Firestone, Airlift & 3-T" 

This is the link:

http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?/topic/5569-air-spring-bag-info-firestone-airlift-3-t/

Linda is right about the axle.  You will need to give that issue some attention.  Fitting air bags with a replacement axle is the ideal solution.  If you are lucky you can get the leaf springs, air bags and 25mm sway bar (unless you have one already) all at the same time.  It is a pretty big job and finding the axle might be difficult.   Otherwise, there are options to replace the leaf springs (Old Man Emu CS0009 and CS010R springs are new replacement options) or even an add a leaf approach.