Gulfstream Conquest, Aluminum framing?

Grime_Divine

We finally took the plunge and recently purchased a 1987 Gulfstream Conquest Toymo. As we are going though the complete interior overhaul and replacing a few water-damaged areas, I’m noticing aluminum tube stock on the bottom floors and in the cracks of some wall board. Does anyone know if these things have an aluminum frame for the Coach? 

Update: By this time we've torn out almost everything in the coach. I can confirm there is complete aluminum frame all around, with only a few wooden frames around roof elements and windows. I will be posting a full build and teardown series when we're all finished!

Edited by Grime_Divine

I am unsure about the Gulfstreams but I can tell you that my Odyssey has aluminum wall framing.  Here is a current pic...

IMG_3936.JPG.fc8a61c0038882252ec93b58a98b232f.JPG

3 minutes ago, linda s said:

Well the later V6 models certainly did. Here's a brochure that says tubular aluminum framing.

https://www.gulfstreamcoach.com/media/uploads/1/11066_1991-Conquest-Toyota-Micro.pdf

Linda S

Thanks Linda! I actually came across that brochure from my own research but wasnt sure if my earlier model still had the same stuff.

Ill keep looking, if no one seems to know. Worst case ill just rip the wall out !😉

1 hour ago, Odyssey 4x4 said:

I am unsure about the Gulfstreams but I can tell you that my Odyssey has aluminum wall framing.  Here is a current pic...

IMG_3936.JPG.fc8a61c0038882252ec93b58a98b232f.JPG

Interesting. I definitely have some over the overhang, but not sure otherwise. Did your odyssey have aluminium framing for the back wall as well?

26 minutes ago, Grime_Divine said:

Interesting. I definitely have some over the overhang, but not sure otherwise. Did your odyssey have aluminium framing for the back wall as well?

Surprisingly the back wall was 100% wooden construction, un-suprisingly it was 100% rotted into a mucky wooden soup.  If it had been rear ended by a bicyclist he would have went straight through into my living room!  The roof was also 100% wood.  

gulfstreams have plenty of metal framing in the roof, though even more would not have hurt. The rear wall is likely mostly wood like any other model, not sure whats going on there. They had ladders, so presumably some support structure was embedded, cant say for sure since its been a while since I saw the back walls undone. There is a set of videos of the deconstruction of an 86 conquest by a forum member on youtube that should provide definitive answers.

21 minutes ago, neubie said:

The frame of a conquest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77H4aPptpd0

I have not watched all of his videos and I may be confused but isn't the frame in that video one that he fabricated himself?  

Thanks everyone!

1 hour ago, linda s said:

Here's a picture of the overhead of an 87 Conquest stripped open. Sure looks like aluminum framing to me.

http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?/topic/5535-weekend-cabover-tearout-and-replace/&tab=comments#comment-37965

Linda S

That's what im looking for. thanks!

For the rest of the body I can confirm from personal experience too. Come to think of it, I met aluminium tubing in the rear light housing, so its a complete tubular frame just as Ben shows it. He just rewelded it. Not spaced all that close though, roof tubes are spaced about two feet except for the air conditioner vent where it 14inches. But its quite a bit better than purely stick framed models.

4 hours ago, neubie said:

By the way, did you get any original manuals with yours? Conquest paperwork isnt yet discoverable in the wild.

No, I wish!

so youre telling me the roof has overhead aluminum tube framing and also the rear wall has some aluminum tube framing?

this sounds like great news.

There is certainly plenty of aluminium in the main roof. The AC rests on two tubes going across the width at the front vent, kerping the roof from sagging the way many other models do. My teardown thread probably has pictures of the roof aluminium. And the rear has a few tubes going through it too. There is one tube going across with width in the rear just above the rear lights thats easy to verify by just taking off the rear lights. There is another at the bottom. There are probably a couple where the ladder is attached going top to bottom. You are not supposed to step on the sloping part on the cabover, so that might be just plywood and insulation.

Ben must have used the same pattern as original. It looks very similar to what I found in my walls/roof.

Edited by neubie

On 2/16/2019 at 5:49 PM, Grime_Divine said:

We finally took the plunge and recently purchased a 1987 Gulfstream Conquest Toymo. As we are going though the complete interior overhaul and replacing a few water-damaged areas, I’m noticing aluminum tube stock on the bottom floors and in the cracks of some wall board. Does anyone know if these things have an aluminum frame for the Coach? 

Our 1990 Gulfstream had all aluminum framing. I had to rebuild the cab over walls due to water damage. It had leaked on both sides where the roof sheathing meets the front aluminum cowling. https://www.gulfstreamcoach.com/media/uploads/1/11066_1991-Conquest-Toyota-Micro.pdf

• 2 years later...

My 87 Conquest is also aluminum framed, a keeper for that exact reason. I'll post another earlier brochure that I have in my archive as soon as I can get it scanned. I might have posted it here in the past but finding anything from the past is a chore.

Edited by Gary_M

Found the brochure but it was the same as what Linda and others posted. I did find a past camping picture of my rig next to my friends Chevy Conquest, I believe his was a 1990 model. Same interior color as mine but you notice the cab over bunk space is much larger on a toy than other models.

img_3068.jpg.150bf0c7f74fb8e1916be876a90bd991.jpg