Have the opportunity to get a fixer upper for $800. Mechanics are just fine but the body will need lots of work

JStro23

So I have wanted a dolphin for many years. My intention has been to completely overhaul the body itself so I primarily have wanted something with a sound engine/brakes/suspension etc. A friend of a friend recently made a post to sell her dolphin for $800. The body has some water damage and is cracked on top, but mechanically it is perfectly sound. Given that it was already my intention to completely overhaul the body and interior, is this a good purchase? The body work simply to get it back to basics (meaning protection from the elements) was estimated at $2000 and then I would begin my interior customization. 

Given the pricing I have seen online this feels like a good opportunity to finally follow my dream of having and living in a customized dolphin. I just wanted to consult thkse with more experience.

I dont know if links work on this forum, but the facebook post would not let me save the images. Here is the link.

Thank you! My phone wouldnt let me save any photo files off marketplace. Its been a dream of mine for years and this seems like the exact opportunity I have been holding out for. Was never looking for a fully modded or tricked out model, always wanted a fixer upper due to my inclination towards customizing it. So the price in addition to solid mechanics seems like a steal for my purposes.

Well I've never done work specifically on rv's but am quite handy at repairs. I have a few friends who live in rv's and could help, in addition to the countless youtube tutorials I have watched and are available. Still in my lease at the currwnt plave for 9 more months so I have plenty of time to put in the work and get it at least livable.

Most of the coach section looks pretty sound. In bad ones you can see noticeable droop in overhead bed section and way more damage than this. Don't just start ripping it apart. Take it slow and take pictures. It's a learning process and I've seen many go too far and then loose interest. Think home remodeling. You don't tear your house down to remodel it. 

Linda S

She was dangling other people's offers over me so I took the plunge and paid her through facebook. Thankfully she is an old friend of one of my closest friends or I would be worried sending a stranger 800 bucks could be a scam. Wouldn't have done it if she wasn't closely connected to one of my best friends.

HI THERE, AS LINDA COMMENTED, DOES NOT LOOK, FROM PICS, REALLY ALL THAT BAD. HOPE THIS IS TRUE, AND YOU CAN SAVE ANOTHER TOYA MH TO LIVE ANOTHER DAY. BEST OF LUCK. BTW, THE PEOPLE HERE ARE A GODSEND FOR ALL YOUR FUTURE QUESTIONS, JOE FROM DOVER

good luck dolphins are all stick built. you are better just buying it and scrapping it out. you would  make more money. you would double your money on the rear end and rims. just for the fact how the pass side window is scabbed in would turn me away from it. who knows what else is jerry rigged. but good luck

I’d prepare for a FULL rebuild including walls and everything.  Can’t beat the price for a project start!  

Well I was talking to the owner who is bringing it to me on Sunday. She gave me a full run down of the damage and evidently even has detailed plans written up for the necessary fixes. The interior I will, over time, be fully customizing. For now I will be primarily interested in restoring the body itself to a sound condition. Which she had inspected and has a full run down of the problem areas. So that should assist in my initial body restorations quite well.

"So, the crack is right above the door frame so it's caused the door frame to bend. There is a hole in the flooring over the driver's side back tire from what i am guessing was a tire blow out from the prievious owner. The skylights are original so there's some leaking with those but im sure when you redo the roof you can reuse the casings and put them on properly. I bought a new water pump it just needs to be installed a majority of the water damage to it is above the bed on the passenger side."

Quote of damage from the owner