1987 Toyota Dolphin project

I bought this Dolphin about 3 years ago for $1800 that had been sitting for a number of years. It had a blown head gasket so new head, timing and cooling parts with oem ignition stuff too. I replaced all pex water lines, new exterior waste lines and rebuilt the shower to utilize a deeper pan and a tiled place to sit with a new toilet. Everything inside has been painted including the stove. I ripped out the dinette to build shelving for microwave and as an afterthought I decided to to start building a workbench. Rooftop AC, water heater and furnace have been removed since they're outdated and inefficient. I plan to install a propane instant hot water heater and put together a non evaporative cooling system. 

I removed the original linear battery charger and installed a Renogy 40 amp mppt charge controller along with two 150 W mono panels. The batteries will eventually be upgraded.

I have a new gas tank and fuel pump that I plan to install when the weather permits. At least I sealed all the roof leaks along with the new roof vents. Nothing is 100% done since there's so much to do but I wanted to at least make everything usable. I also want to address the suspension since the rig lean slightly to the left. I want airbags but I should probably address the springs too. Its a saggy boi like the rest.

IMG_20181116_121251.jpg

IMG_20190127_120328.jpg

IMG_20181224_142819.jpg

IMG_20181125_150605.jpg

IMG_20181016_200801.jpg

IMG_20181116_160418.jpg

IMG_20181116_160359.jpg

IMG_20181116_160316.jpg

IMG_20180902_102929.jpg

IMG_20181225_135452.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

greetings! I have a thought or two to share. first. I also have an 87 toy dolphin. great things they are! 

the issue of leaning. I think that the factory National RV in Cali put triangular gusset supports along only one side of the rig. the side that is intended to hold the generator. if you have no extra weight from that system the side will be higher. I have no idea why they would only support one side the extra weight to weld in additional gussets is not alot. my dolphin appears to tilt even with the airbags properly filled and parked on flat level surface.  if you have the means and tools the coach could be removed and the frame resupported. but oh lord that would take a huge amount of effort.

So a quick reasonable fix may be to go to an auto parts supplier or trailer supplier and put an 'add-a-leaf' to your leaf springs along the lower side.

the other thing. ride control and comfort. the Air bags are prone to wear as they are rubber. there is a company in Arizona. 3-T's rv, they make the air bag systems and also sell rebuild kits for cheaper. the whole kit will come with brackets for mounting the bags. you do not need the whole kit as you have mounting hardware already. they sold me a kit and provided good support to help me. one of the bags had developed a leak and would not fill. they sent me another for free. but now I have to get rid of the new bad one. small price to pay throw away the bad part for a new one that they shipped.

I hope that I have helped and travel well! have good camping times!

• 4 months later...

What did you use to paint the cabinet doors?  Did you sand them?  

ALso, did you run new larger exhaust?